questin for florida jeepers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

questin for florida jeepers

i'm a college student at colorado state. and i'll be moveing to florida in a year. and i need to consider what type of wheeling you all do in florida. i'm use to medium jeep trails out here in colorado. do you guys do alot of mud and sand. i'm thinking of moving to sothern florida on the atlantic side. over the next year i will be doing major mods to my jeep. drive train mostly. and would like to find out what i should be building it to do. i'm sure theres not alot of rock crawling in florida. do you have state and national land that yoru alot to drive one in colorado there are jeep trails all through the national forests. thanks

80 cj7 304..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: questin for florida jeepers

any floridins here???

80 cj7 304..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:15 PM

Mud, mud, more mud, and some sugar sand that you didn't notice until your stuck and airing down the tires. Mostly mud though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The typical FL Jeep runs a high-HP engine, a nice beefy drivetrain, and the biggest tires they can fit. There is a CJ-7 cruising around town on 44" SS SXs and he runs the stock fender flares still...something about 4" lift springs on top of D60s, and a 3" body lift [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Has an all-chevy drivetrain as well. His headlights are above the legal limit so he must run some driving lights attached to the bottom of the bumper to be legal [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A winch is a must-have item. A snorkel is a good idea for a smaller vehichle. Lockers are a given.

For running in sand- a stock Jeep with wide tires at low PSIs will get you pretty much everywhere. I actually prefer sand to mud because it breaks less things and is easier to clean up. Also doesn't ruin your clothes as quick!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i think i would like sand more too. is it easy to find place to wheel on the beach?

80 cj7 304..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 01:02 PM
FlMudCJ

He put it perfectly. Its all sand with dirty water and the occasional grease spot. I'm finally able to go most places I want with 1/2 ton full width axles and 36" bias swampers. My 304 is warmed over and produces the HP I need to turn these tires. I've found that a more highway gear is better (Ie: 4.10 with the 36" tires) rather than the conventional 4.54 or even 4.88's. I have the stock D20, and low range is too low for all but trying to crawl out of a stuck, but high leaves plenty of wheel spin to clean and play. If you have a 6, I'd go 4.50 and 4 cyl definately 4.88. Slushboxes can probably deal with any of those gears.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 01:10 PM

I live just north of Tampa, and I have to drive about 45 miles to go wheeling, it is sand and some mud, where I go.
I don't like mud and water much, you never know what is under the water, it can be costly.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 01:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Like the past posts said. There is a lot of mud in south florida. I live on the west coast on the south side right next to the everglades and during the summer months there will be a considerable about of water and mud. During the dry season you will find the sand. And when it gets really dry in the fire season the sand gets deep, at least down here in our local trails. I run 5.38 gears in my 63 cj5 and i go through alot, I don't have a large HP engine, but i also stay out of stuff that i know i will get stuck, or i try it anyway and get my buddis to pull me out when i need it. You have to get used to checking your fluids and constantly greasing your bearings and changing oil. Water will get into everything. The big tires are a must, but not necessary , unless you go where the big boys go. You will see alot of Swamp buggies in south florida and you will wonder why they are so big. When you see some of the places they go, you will know why they are so big. I have seen some as tall as two stories, no lie either. Just remember to go riding with someone else, because there is alot more factors on the trails when it somes to braking down. And you don't want to walk through the swamps to get to a phone, or help. But it sure is great to ride in south florida. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you come over to the West coast, Ft. MYers area we can take you out with our club to riding.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "CAloosa Jeepers" member

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 03:45 PM

I'm not sure there are any beaches to ride on on the West (Gulf) Coast of FL. Most of the sand I do is inland quite a bit, and often in the most unlikely spots. On the East (Atlantic) Coast I have heard of a few beaches open to four-wheeling, but I doubt my Jeep would have made the trip when the tranny was still good so I never found out for sure. I know for a fact that Seabring has some nice sugar-sand powerline trails and mudholes. The closer to the Everglades you get- the stranger the vehichles seem to get as well. A popular way to make a Swamp buggy, is to use a cut-down bus frame- preferable with a pusher engine. They take the body off- stick tractor tires on the axles (rear wheel drive only quite often) and build a Control deck on stilts that is about as high as the roof of the bus was. These things will go all sorts of places!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 05:11 PM

Parents have a place in Ft. Lauderdale and I see tons of jeeps on the drag by the beach. You either see 2 kinds of jeeps hard core mud covered jeeps that have mud tires or more aggressive tires usually in 33" or bigger size, a winch and if they are big they sound like they have a v-8 and probably have bigger axles. I've never been wheeling there though I'd love to take my jeep down or grab a seat on someone elses jeep and see what it's like, I think there's tons of mud and water.
Barrel Roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 304 in it now. but i will eventually be getting a 360. i'm running a t-5 transmission for now will upgrade to nv5400 when i graduate. shold i beef up the amc 20 or try to swap in a d44. ony running 31 inch tires. i dont watnt to go to high. it still has to me my daily driver and my corss county driver too. do you see any sand dune buggys. you know those vw kind in the sand??

80 cj7 304..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode