Tool heaven - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tool heaven

www.snapon.com

Never thought about Snap-On having a website.

I take back all I ever said. This is the coolest thing ever. They have everything on the web to order. No more hunting for the Snap-On man. Looks like I will be broke forever now, but at least my tools will work.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tool heaven

Last time I was there it said you couldn't buy direct and that you had to find the snappy man. Guess things have changed.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 10:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Darn every time I go there my computer locks up. Boy that hurts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I knew they were high, but I didn't have any idea they were that High. Some of those prices are plain crazy.

All I looked at were the hand tools. $25 for a single socket??? $37,000 for a set of hand tools?? It was a big set, though.

Yes, I know that good tools are expensive. I have a small machine shop and have bought top of the line measuring instruments, mikes, calipers etc. I guess Snap On has their own brand, but they were higher than top of the line name brand instruments.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tell you....sometimes, i really like being an Embry-Riddle student...we get a nice discount off all things Snap on....gota love it...

It makes the prices mostly comparable to CRAFTSMAN!

Mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sure, Snap-On prices are high, but they are stout. I have never broken a Snap-On or SK socket, broke many Craftsman. Sure you can take it back and get a new one, but it is the convenience factor. the only Snap-On tool I've ever broken is the previously mentioned mallet.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am a firm believer in QUALITY, but how in the world do you justify $25 for a single socket vs $5 for that same socket with the same warranty, particularly when the $5 socket is very good quality. Is there anyway there is that much difference in quality???

I am wearing a stainless steel $3,000 Omega divers watch. It replaced a $300 stainless steel Seiko divers watch. The Seiko is electronic and keeps better time than the mechanical Omega, but I like the Omega better. I can only justify the Omega because I LIKE it better. There is no way it 10 times better than the Seiko, and if you are only interested in the correct time, it isn't as good.

I was really stunned when I saw the Snap-On posted prices. Sure I would like to have an all Snap-On tool system, but personally, I just can't justify it. I didn't do extensive price checking. The following is quickly picked at random. The sets are similar in their content:

241 piece set of Craftsman - Retail: $199.99
200 piece set of Snap-On - $4,408.55

318 pieces set of Craftsman - $499.99
300 piece set of Snap-On - $7,975.75

1/2" Craftsman speed handle - $19.99
Snap-On $55.25

Combination wrench sets (a little difference in size of wrenches, but not much.)
11 pc. Professional Craftsman 1/4" to 15/16" - $59.99
11 pc Standard Craftsman 5/16" to 15/16" - $29.99
11 pc Snap-On 3/8" to 1" - $424.45

1,176 pc set of Craftsman - $4,969.97
1,000 pc Snap-On - $27,109.15

All I can say is WOW!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For the same money I could buy a 1000 pc Snap-On set

OR

an 1,100 pc set of Craftsman AND a new TJ to use to drive back and forth to Sears when I break a tool.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As we all know, the attractiveness of Snap-On to the pros is the Snap-On guy comes to you, and financing is SO easy. But, yes, the quality can't be beat but the prices ARE way out of line. Check out SK or Mac, prices still high, but a little more affordable. I've had my SK metric set over 25 years, never broke a socket. But, sometimes you just can't resist that Snap-On tool![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 06:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Remy, you get a discount at ERAU? I'm jealous. The snap-on guy here at Lewis charges us list price. The jerk. Thats why I don't buy from him. I have to chase the tool truck down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode