TJ project...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ project...?

Tell me what you guys think about my next possible project...
I want a Jeep for daily driving and not really any off roading.
I like the TJ because it gives a good highway ride as well as handling. So my idea would be to buy a 97-99 TJ. I won't run over a 31" tire. I would also like to have V8 power. More specifically, a TPI 350 from a camaro or vette. So my idea is to either get a TJ with 4 cylinder and take out the tranny and rear axle and upgrade them to handle the more powerfull engine. Or, if I can find a TJ with a 6 cylinder and dana 44 rear axle, just swap the engine and leave the rest of the drivetrain stock. Would breakage be a problem if I did that? And if I did swap the tranny as well, what is a good 5 speed manual to swap in (besides NV4500). Let me know of any other ideas.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 08:21 PM

Re: TJ project...?

In California the engine has to be the same year as the TJ or newer. just to let you know. You could get a YJ and put in a 350 TPI since those years match up. do springover or something. Wagoneer axles... I want to put in the 5.0 TBI from my Firebird.
Tas
'89 YJ 4.2L, 5-speed, 31" BFGs, no lift, Euro tail-lights, Flowmaster....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 08:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: TJ project...?

Why not just throw a 4.7 stroker setup in or maybe a Supercharger? At 180 hp stock, it's close to the 200+ range of the 350, without all the weight. For general street riding (not severe off-roading with 31's), I'd also keep the AX-15, and throw your money into a decent set of axles. The 4 cylinders also came with the AX-5, and you'd grenade that with 200 hp. So I guess what you're asking is where to find a TJ shell and frame, 'cause that's all that'll be left when you're done.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode