Off Roading Forums banner

Sahara 93 Wrangler 145k Miles...Problems Need response ASAP!!!

866 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Last week my 93' Wrangler began make noises that sounded like clattering noises from the middle to the rear of the jeep. Thought the issue was a possible Drivetrain,Transfer Case, and/or Ft/Rear Axle issue. Well, took it to a jeep dealership...because I didn't know a good jeep shop in Phoenix, AZ..
and they performed a Transmission Analysis and checked all the above and could not find any issues...although the jeep mechanic heard the noise I was referring to. Well, I paid $180 for the Lube Service hoping this would correct my problem and it didn't. I am still hearing the noise, but it is not intermittently. It also feels like the car isn't getting the necessary power I onced had when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd. Could this be a timing chain/belt problem...? Or has anyone had this similar problem and could possibly give suggestions before I spend more money without accomplishing anything? Please respond ASAP....

#2 ·
5sp or auto? running stock tires or oversize? stock axles? i.e. fill out your profile.

Does the clattering occur when accelerating, braking, coasting, idling, or all of the above.
"Sounds" like a U-joint to me, especially if they haven't been replaced anytime during the 145K?
Reply with more info.....

Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp, 3" body, 33's, 283 Chevy V8, TH350, 4.11's, D30, D35c

#3 ·
Is there any vibration associated with the noise? If not I wouldn't call it a u-joint - and if it has been checked out, even the most novice mechanic should be able to spot a bad ujoint with a wobbly driveshaft. Perhaps you broke a spider gear in the rear end? Or munched a few teeth on one? Or have a bad bearing in the rear diff somewhere?

It *could* be the timing chain, but if you said it's coming form the "middle to the rear of the jeep", then, well, timing chain is in front. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. If it jumped time I would think the check engine light would come on anyway.

Perhaps it is an internal problem with the transfer case? Looks like a more comprehensive check is in order....

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G
#4 ·
Does it make this sound only when you are moving? I.E. If you run up the RPM's while in neutral do you hear the noise? Any weird smells coming from the jeep? At 145K, I'd at least give the cat a cursory look to see if its failing...

May not be the cause, but its worth a look. Its in about the right place for the noise you describe, and if breaking up and clogging tail pipe it could effect power...

Jim O'Brien
rkcrawl@tidesys.com
My jeep page

#5 ·
Did you ask the dealer if they used the EVA? They have a tool that measures the frequency of vibrations and harmonics that occur during a roadtest. With proper usage, they should be able to calcuate the exact area of the noise. I would go back to the dealer and ask them to check it again, and you are not happy with the results of the first diagnosis. Tell them that it is a noise, vibration, and harness concern. If the mechanic can hear the noise, but is not willing to make a diagnosis, you want another mechanic to look at it. Take the service manager for a ride.

G
#6 ·
if the problem occurs when you start out or accelerate i would first llok at the anti torque arm that sticks out of the driver side of your transmission and connects it to your skidplate. if that bolt is loose, broken, or has messed up bushings, it will cause a rattle like a clanging or clunking upon accelerating. ggod luck, you can get these through four wheel drive hardware or maybe quadratech for about $2.50

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.