MSD Ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

MSD Ignition

I have an '87 YJ with a 258. I've done the TFI Upgrade from Glenn at driveajeep.com and am now considering the MSD Ignition upgrade. Does anyone know if I need to buy anything besides the actual unit to do the upgrade? I saw it on partsamerica.com for 139.99 less 25%. Do i need to make any mods to do it? Also, once it is done, will i have to adjust my timing on my carb? I have a rebuilt Carter carb. Also, is there a way to do it so that i can put the stock module back on if anything happens to the MSD module?
Thanks for all the help and you replies are appreciated.

Donny

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: MSD Ignition

Do a search for MSD. You should find the info you need there.

Tommy B. in AZ -
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

I just got mine and haven't hooked it up yet, but from the instructions and TR's post, it looks like there are two different ways to hook it up. You can attach it between your existing coil wires and your coil, leaving your current ignition in place and functional or you can buy an adapter (MSD PN 8869 - $10.49 after discount) that will connect the MSD to your distributer allowing you to bypass your current ignition. This also bypasses your tach, so you have to hook it up somehow. They also sell a vibration mount kit (MSD PN 8823) that I haven't seen yet.

I got the adapter, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or not. I'll probably hook it up without it for now because of the tach wiring.

jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2000, 10:50 AM

Jerry is pretty close to dead on the money on this one.

You can drive the MSD module off your current ignition, and you will be 100% emissions legal, and you will not affect the O2 air controller or the factory tach.

That is not the most effective use for the MSD, but it is worlds above what you have now because it gives you real CDI ignition power.
Use MSD harness P/N 8874 for a very clean installation.
That harness, and two wires to the battery are all there is to it.
If the MSD unit fails, you just unplug the harness 8874 and plug your stock ignition back into the coil, and you are back on the factory ignition.
---------------------------------

Then there is the MSD module, and MSD harness P/N 8869.
8869 lets you tap directly into the distributor, bypassing the air control hardware (effectively doing the John Nutter By Pass), and driving the MSD module straight off the distributor signal.
You will also need NAPA P/N ICC1 coil connector for this install.
This is easy, and it's a completely redundant ignition system that is fully CDI, and fully controllable.

You unplug the distributor from the stock wiring harness, and use P/N 8869 to connect the distributor to the MSD unit.
You unplug the coil from the stock wiring harness, and use P/N ICC1 on the MSD orange & black wires to connect the coil to the MSD module.
You unplug the two wire connector (red & white from the module).
Connect the two heavy wires from the MSD to the battery, and you are ready to rock.
If the MSD unit fails, you hook up the three stock connectors at the distributor, ignition coil and the module, and you are on your way again with the stock ignition.

If a guy were so inclined, he could switch back and forth for emissions testing, and have the best of both worlds.....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode