How much should i pay for rebuilt T-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much should i pay for rebuilt T-5

i want to put a 5 speed in my jeep. but dont want to pay a 1000 bucks to do it. the jeep has a pretty much stock 304. i know the t-5 isn't suposed to be strong enough to go up aginst the 304. but i have heard some guys haveing sucuss with it. i currently have a T-4 that has held up very well. i'm only running 31 inch tires. and can drop the clutch and burn the tires and the t-4 hasn't had any problems. i read the the t-4 and t-5 are about the same strenth. so i think the t -5 would work for me.
how much should i pay for a professionaly rebuilt t-5. jeeps unlimited in colorado wants about 750 for one. is that to high?

p.s i dont drop the clutch and beat on my jeep that much i was just testing it out. a few times

80 cj7 304..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 09:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: How much should i pay for rebuilt T-5

http://advanceadapters.com has a World Class T-4 and 5 which start at about $1200. I really like mine. But are you sure you have a T-4 and not a T-176 which uses a slightly different bell housing and is stronger than a stock T-4. The World Class trannys are supposed to handle V8 power.
Larry

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that Raduckal is right you should check closer my sons jeep has a 258 with a jeep T-5 which died without much hard use.So I don't think one would stand up to a 304 very well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mikecj7, unless your CJ is broke right now, save your money and buy one of the
new NV4500's from Quadratec or 4WP Wharehouse. It's not cheap at $2000, but you
get a new trans. with the adapters and it's basically indestructable. You also
get the lower first gear and the higher OD ratio. I've been very happy with
mine.

Gary
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 01:15 AM
chasejeep7

here is a quick way to distiquish the difference of the transmissions.
http://www.wilsons4x4.com/transid.htm

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mike, I have a T-5 you can have for 200.00...........All the syncros are in good shape........

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditch the T-5 idea and get a T-18, NP435 or NV4500. Money better spent on Real Tranny. Waisting your time and will need to rebuild the T-5 again in the future. The REAL Truck Tranny's will serve you well with anything your 304 can dish out.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm positive i have a t-4 in it i know it didn't come with it. but i know its a t-4 i have another jeep that has the t176 in it and i dont like it cause first gear is much higher than the t -4. i'm intrested in the world class t-5 from AA but hate knowing i'm getting riped off. by those over priced people. i guess i wouldn't mind so much if i wasn't a poor college student.
what all do you get with their WC t-5? if i ordered one up could i get it home and bolt it in. does it come wiht a new bell housing or do i use the one i have now? thanks for all the info and advice.

80 cj7 304..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 11:42 PM
chasejeep7

Basically the WC T4/5 is beefier. It is better designed for more torque and HP. I believe this is a straight up bolt in, the big advantage. Do a search for World Class T5 and you will find a lot, and results from others using it. From what I hear people are happy with it.
go here (if it works)
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...view=&sb=&vc=1

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 11:17 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Since you have a T-4 the WC is a perfect fit. It comes with a new clutch plate, a shifter handle and knob. You need the new plate because the shaft is large in the WC. The plate they sent me fits a 11" pressure plate, so I had to discard a almost new 10.5". Heck, I wanted the big clutch anyway. They will add 5th gear for $250. I did'nt need overdrive due to my high R&Ps. I got mine installed at a local shop for $100. Before going with the WC T-4 I wasted $800 on a SR-4 rebuild. Like these other guys say HD truck trannys are bullet proof in a Jeep, but the WC needs no other mods. That equals dollars saved. Also the WC shifts like a dream not like most HD trannys.
Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode