Rental Storage as Garage?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Rental Storage as Garage??

Apartment living has got me in a corner. I'm almost ready to pull the body off of my Jeep. But without a garage I'm having to do as much as I can in my living room. So far I've been pretty amazed with how much I have been able to accomplish. But now there's just no way around it. I need a garage for the swap. Are any of you out there working out of a storage space? I was just hoping to hear from a couple people who have done it, so I can learn from there adventures. I'm assuming the rental places don't want me in there working. Is this THAT big of a deal or am I over thinking on this one (old habit). I don't think I'll need the space more than two months..... I hope.

I need the storage so I can coat my tub with herculiner and paint my frame before putting it all back together.

Hey H8MONDAY..... any comments/advice??

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rental Storage as Garage??

Well IN2DEEP I feel your pain, I to am getting real tired of the apartment I live in (very explict in the contract "NO Autowork in parking lot"). I have considered your idea myself, But my girlfriend is letting me use her driveway if I need to do any longterm work (she's a GREAT cook and likes to go 4 wheeling with me) whadda gal.

But anyways back to your idea, I remember back when I was stationed in Charleston, SC. We had a guy who rented a two car storage space at a place that was open 24hrs a day. Well he outfitted it with a minifridge, a couch, huge stereo and TV system. Just so he could have a place to chill out away from the ship. This was back in the just post Gulf era and at that time we could do no wrong. I never heard if he was busted for it, But by then I was two oceans away [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Any ways good luck in the swap [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

John

Damn the Mud, Full Speed Ahead!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 06:17 PM
Old Hand

I have seen people doing that in the storage garages here in San Diego. I have also seen people set up the storage unit as an office. They had a phone, computer, big window with a view (Ok, so a garage door opened). I don't think they care if you don't have your stuff all over the common area and if you are respectful.

The biggest problem I see is having the time to do it during their hours. I regularly am working late at night on my Jeep. It would be ideal to find 24 hour kind of place. That way late at night you would be bugging nobody with a compressor, impact wrench, drills, grinders, etc. Hum, where would you plug a welder in??

-raymo
Scrambler,258,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 06:30 PM

I looked into this in the old High School garage band days. the only problem is the only power that most have is a single Light bulb socket int eh top center of the room.

if you can over come that youve got it licked.
even if they dissaprove, youve got 30 days! haha

OzarkJeep

"If I take a stand It will be my own"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got back from my storage. I have one light bulb top center, much too little light at night to work, but two oulets I can use. The place is only open 8-8, but you can stay as long as you want at night if you get in before then. There are a number of people who work on projects in their storage units every day and the owners don't care at all. Maybe mine isn't ordinary, but its not a bad setup. You just have to be respectful of noise and making a mess in front of your storage.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Who needs light and power? Just buy (or rent) a portable generator, or if you need it, get a desel powered welder! All the power you could ever need!

Good Luck!

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, ? Lift, 33x12.5's, Rust. "JeepHeap"
79 IH Scout II, 304 V8 Auto, Stock.

Round Headlights have more fun.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the imput/comments. I'm just moving it back to the top, trying to get more responses.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 09:20 PM

Does your engine run good? It can make all the power you need, and its a great excuse to set up that on-board air, on-board welder and inverter [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Ha Ha.... you don't think I have enough to do with the body swap/frame painting... You want me to add on board air/welder and inverter??!! I was hoping to get in and out quickly.

But thanks anyway.

Drew

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have built 6 mini storage projects. The electrical engineers figure the power requirements just a close as possible to keep the construction costs down. Most managers will be on the lookout for refrigerators, freezers, or anything else that may be plugged into the light sockets because the owners do not want to pay the electric bill.

The point is, if you lay your cards on the table with them up front, you may be able to get one to work with you on your power needs. Just be prepared to offer them a little more to cover the costs of the juice.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode