What's this scraping noise when turning? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s this scraping noise when turning?

I know it's break-related. The calipers on my '82 CJ are smooth ou the outside, but grooved on the inside surface. When I turn, I get this high-pitched scraping sound. Not a squeal, just a scrape. Does this mean the calipers aren't centering their clamping force? I guess I should go with all new rotors and calipers. GEES! The rotors for a manual hubbed wheel are expensive! They're like $125 each!

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What\'s this scraping noise when turning?

possibly a small pebble stuck in there? have you removed and cleaned them?

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem on my 83 scrambler, deep grooves on the inside one the passenger brake caliper. I figured I had ruined the rotor but it still stopped well and tracked straight on braking so I figured I may as well use em till they were totally worn.
Anyways, 7 months later they were totally worn so I ordered the entire brake set (calipers, rotors, pads, etc for $240). If your calipers aren't centering then you should replace the rubber insert between the caliper and the caliper pins. The entire caliper assemble slides on the pins so if the rubber is chewed up or otherwise not smooth you will probably get the grooves.
If fact, when I put the new calipers on I thought there was something wrong since they were so "loose" compared to the old ones, but after studying the system for a bit I decided that was how it was supposed to be.
A new hardware kit costs $15 while a new caliper costs $30 x 2=$60. My calipers were still probably good but I figured for $45 extra bones I really couldn't go too wrong

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah, I think my rotors were $40 or something each. I have an 83 CJ with manual hubs as well so whomever is trying to sell you rotors at $125 each isn't doing you any favors

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got my rotors for $20 each but another auto parts store tried to sell the exact same thing to me for $100 each. I told them I got them somewhere else for 20, but they didn't seem to care...
Dan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I'd sure like to know where y'all are looking, because I got that price from discount auto. Not much of a discount, huh?

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4wd hardward is where I ordered mine from. The quadratec catalog has them for $49 As a rule I order everything, I really haven't had a problem with any company and they are universally cheaper than the parts store. The best part is that you get exactly the part you want without ever leaving your house. The risk you take is getting screwed by someone a long ways away. The only thing really I use the LPS (local parts store) for is for fluids and filters.
Later

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 07:57 AM

some rotors come with new hubs while others are just the rotor so verify which they are when they give u the price

Michael 78 CJ-5 304eng T150 Trans D20 transfer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode