Anyone from Fairfax, VA area? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Anyone from Fairfax, VA area?

I'm beginning the process of applying to the Fairfax Co. PD, and I was looking for info on the area from anyone who lives there. I thought that the beginning salary was nice, until I looked at the cost of living there. I'll be starting out at about $40K depending on overtime and moonlighting. Is this really doable in the area?
Any places to go wheeling? I see that there are lots of bike trails, but what about motorized access?

Well, thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone from Fairfax, VA area?

I have lived in the Fairfax area for 29 years, and 40k will not put you in the high life but you can get by. Wheeling sucks and you have to drive to get to it(do not wheel in Fairfax you will get busted by the State,EPA and Fairfax's finest). Fairfax is a big place and there is many parts of it. You can live outside of the county like most Co employees and drive(that sucks) this will save alot. There are a ton of bike trails(NO MOTORIZED ACCESS). The up-side is the Fairfax Co. PD has alot of toys (an off-road unit w/bikes, 4wheelers and some other Ford stuff) and is huge(the down side for people like me). The housing market sucks if you are going to buy (most of the houses are up for less than two days and go for above market price).

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just remembered there is a pic of me in the McLean sub station with my CJ5 winching out a blazer from 9' of water (made the back cover of off-road Mag.) back in high school.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The cop that took the pic got a $100.00 for it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Then he wrote me a ticket.(but that is ok I beat it in court)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I grew up in Prince William County and have lived in Fairfax County for the past five years. I'm also in the market to buy a house in the area (I've been renting until now). You could swing an apartment or townhouse on $40k, but you won't be able to afford much in the way of Jeep mods. Having a roommate, wife, or live-in girlfriend with another income definitely helps. If you don't mind a 30-45 minute commute, you could look into buying a home in Loudoun or P.W. County. You get more house for your money, and the places in those areas are appreciating like crazy, so it would be a good investment even if you were stretched thin for a year or two.

The nearest ORV trails (that I know of) are about 90 minutes away. We took a trip two weekends ago out to the George Washington Forest Park. It's kind of a hike, so I don't get out more than a couple of times a year. There are a couple of local 4wd clubs that seem to go every other month or so.

If you get the job and see a blue CJ7 out on the road, take it easy on me--I have to speed down the hills in order to make it up the other side. And I'm not drunk, it's just hard to drive that thing in a straight line.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like your blue CJ is just like my blue CJ...90 mph downhill, 50 mph up the next one. It's a real bitch driving to school in WV cause I have about 4 hours in the mountains.
Just make sure you have your SWB BBS sticker somewhere I will be able to see it. I might stop you just to chat then.

Thanks for the info guys

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode