yj tailgate problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

yj tailgate problem

Ever since I did the smart thing and got a spare to match my tires (33x12.5), my tailgate doesn't shut properly. It's almost like the secondary latch isn't engaging. When I go over a bump, I can hear my tailgate pull against the latch and then come back. Is it possible to adjust it or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new lock mechanism along with a better spare tire carrier.

If it ain't broke, you took the easy way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 04:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: yj tailgate problem

The extra weight of the big spare will eventually crack the body in the hinge area. The only proper fix is to get a spare tire carrier that takes the weight of the tire off the body and puts it on the frame.

A stopgap measure would be to build a support off the bumper to pick up the load when the tailgate is closed.

It happened to mine before I got it. The spotwelds are cracked in the area of the passenger's side taillight. That sheetmetal just can't take the bouncing and the weight.

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 94 YJ has the spare on the tailgate also. I have to tightening up the screws in the latch every few weeks to keep the door from banging around. When you think about it, the spare is a lot of weight bouncing around back there. My tailgate is kinked just below the mount to prove it.

I have been thinking about an after market carrier that will put the weight on the bumper/frame as the proper fix. I just haven't got that far in the research of the different options to know which one to buy.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 04:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm pretty sure the tailgate latch adjusts the same way a door latch does. If you loosen the stud that the tailgate locks to, you can adjust it up/down/front/back to get it to close properly.

. . . but, yeah, that's a lot of weight on a yj tailgate... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, JKS 1.25" body lift, 33"BFGMT, 9000# winch, homemade rear tire carrier, reb. 258, 999 auto, 4.10 axles, weber 32/36 carb w/adj. reg., GMHEI, CJ dash, ...and one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice; when I went to adjust/tighten the screws for the latch, I noticed its also missing a screw. That's probably not helping much. The fun continues... Thanks again for the help.

If it ain't broke, you took the easy way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode