Qtrac basic question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Qtrac basic question

Okay, simple question. I believe in my reading I found that the Qtrac transfer case equipped jeeps do NOT have manually lockable hubs. Is this correct? So if I have manual hubs that means that at some point in time they were modified to use manual hubs. Or am I way off base here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 02:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Qtrac basic question

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Your assumption is in fact, correct. QT Jeeps normally drive all four all the time. The transfer case has a differential that will allow you to zoom around on pavement in FWD. HOWEVER......in their infinite dumbness, Borg-Warner decided to "bias" the transfer case toward locked FWD, and installed some cone clutches in the QT center differential. Those pesky clutches make the Jeep run in a slight bind, waste fuel, make it less manageable in snow and ice, and make it difficult to get into "Lockup" or what they refer to "Emergency Drive" when you need to. FOR THAT REASON, we have disabled our cone clutches with a simple modifacation. By using the manual hubs, the Jeep guy was overcoming one of the deficiencies of the QT, and that is that it runs all four spots, but with the burden of the cone clutches. What he was doing was running the case in "Lock" and then releasing the hubs to get the Jeep to cruise free from bind in 2WD. If you are doing this, run ONE SIDE unlocked ONLY and switch off every month side-to-side. The reason for that is so you don't inadvertently wear out the spiders in the front differential, since it's impossible to predict which side may or may not spin.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 10:11 AM
Nickmil

Excellent info CJDave! I would like to add one thing. If someone has added locking hubs AND you have
a Q-trac transfer case they may have already added an aftermarket kit that modifies the transfer case
and essentially makes it a part time unit. I don't know what this entails but do know that a kit is or was
available to do this. I think Doug Nash was who manufactured it. Happy trails. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 02:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Oops! Part-time conversion. I didn't think of that! Usually they are about a 16% overdrive and they just involve replacing the barrel differential with a solid gear and a shorter chain, and they use the sliding collar to effect front drive. By rolling under the Jeep and checking the shaft you can tell if it has been converted. In 2WD position the front driveline can be turned by hand with hubs unlocked. If it has been converted you should run BOTH hubs unlocked on dry pavement.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 06:29 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Doug Nash did come out with the part-time Q-Trac conversion with 16% overdrive. I did this conversion on my '76 Waggie way back when. I also did new ring and pinons and Gleason Torsen's at the same time and chose lower gears to counter the affect of the o.d. so as to not lose out on low-end. The kits are now available thru Mile Marker with or without the o.d. I would opt to go without the o.d. Another nice thing about the kit is that you no longer need the special Q-Trac fluid, just use ATF.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the info. I thought I read that somewhere, and the guy I bought the jeep from was no help.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes they did make a part time conversion. I have one on my 77 cj7. Its called a dne2. Doug Nash made it. Does any one know where I can get a chain for one????

The baddest four letter word JEEP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode