Grand Wagoneer Axle Swap - A few Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grand Wagoneer Axle Swap - A few Questions

I am trying to get all the information I need together to perform this sway on my YJ over the winter, after this past weekends trip an watching at the snapping stock axles I am extremely convinced that I need something stronger under my Jeep, especially if I want to run lockers. What do I need to watch out for with Waggie axles, are there different spline counts, etc. I know that I will need to find one withou q-trac but want to make sure that there are not any more hang ups. I am planning on running 6 bolt front and rear, I will be carrying two spares for the real hard stuff so I am not concerned about needing to borrow a spare. What offset will I need to keep the tires under the flares on my YJ?? I am planning on running 33 x 12.50 on 7" rims. Also where can i get the best deal on good gears?? I am planning on running locking hubs in the front, any suggestions to which hubs to run?? I also would like to run lockers, I was thinking Lock Rights in both ends, how do they hold up in a 44? I know that Detroit is the best but they are not in my budget right now. I know that this is long, but I am hoping that I am not the only one trying to gather this information for a winter swap and that it will be helpful for many people. Thanks for all your help.

Kris

When I bought my Jeep it was exactly what I wanted...and I haven't stop changing it since!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 10:02 AM
MNT
Addict

Re: Grand Wagoneer Axle Swap - A few Questions

Check the Jeep Tech section of this page. There should be a write up on exactly that swap.

G'Luck
M

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] MNT [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Grand Wagoneer Axle Swap - A few Questions

Just did this EXACT swap. The writeup is at my web site:

http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Jeep.html

in the tech section.

Basically, for a YJ you want an 86+ wagoneer - that will give you dana 44 front and rear, driver's side drop, usually no vacuum disconnect. earlier versions had the amc 20, and really early versions had d44s but passenger side drops. 86+ should get you what you want. The only thing to watch for is the vacuum disconnect - you don't want it, and I'm not sure what years/options had them. Make sure you do NOT get quadratrack axles, as the rear pinion is offset to one side on these axles, and yo don't want that.

the 86 gw I got mine from had d44 front and rear, 30 spline axles (1.31 inches?), both normal rotation gear sets, 6 bolt rims, 1/2 ton internal splined hubs, etc etc The waggy axles are nice because they have stronger knuckles and hubs than say a scout axle and the tie rod is already on top of the knuckles. The tie rod and drag link are also bigger and stronger than a YJ, so make sure you grab those and use them.

Get warn premium hubs - my opinion. Gears - lotsa places, I got mine from Drive Train Direct, but there are a number of outlets with more or less the same price, just make sure you are getting high quality american made gears, not cheap italian stuff.

The biggest problem you will face is getting the steering linkage to work, because the location of the steering box, pitman arm length, and tie rod location are all different on a GW. There are various ways to go about it, what I did was move the drag link to the other side of the tie rod and use the waggy pitman arm. If you can grab the waggy pitman arm at the same time as the front axle and steering linkages, that would be a big bonus and may potentially make your life a lot easier. I was staying SUA at the time I did my swap, if you are SOA or going SOA at time of swap that changes things a little.

Anyway, check out the details on the web site and email me if you need more info.

Regards,

Chad

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode