NP435 Shift linkage question / problem. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

NP435 Shift linkage question / problem.

Hi all,

Well, went out wheeling this weekend, and didn't break the Jeep [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but I managed to break the transmission in the truck towing the Jeep home. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Now, this is in my 79 F250, but I know some of you guys run this heavy duty stuff in your Jeeps, so I hope it's ok to post this question here. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It happened when I was backing the trailer up after I had gotten home (thank god). I couldn't get the shifter to go into ANY gears, except reverse, and that was with considerably more force than is normal. In taking the seat out, the tranny tunnel cover off, and the aluminum cover of what I think is an NP435, I found that the small plastic wear pads on the 1/2 and 3/4 shift forks are worn out. The 3/4 shift fork is even scored pretty badly, like 1/8" beyond where the pad would have been. The tranny gears look fine, but I haven't studied it really close yet.

Queston 1) It looks like the worn pads and the worn groove in the 3/4 shift fork let the fork pivot more than usual on it's shaft, and let the selector ball sneak out from between the spaces it's supposed to stay in between, making it get 'lost' between gears.

Question 2) The round ball that's on the end of the shift lever, that moves the forks around, has flats on both sides of it, and they look machined, not worn into place. Is this normal? Also, does the metal ball just move the forks around - metal on metal, or is there supposed to be something in there that's gone? The trucks got 136,000 on it.

Question 3) I can't seem to figure out how to get the shift fork off.

and lastly 4) Can I get the 3/4 shift fork off and replace it - it looks like it's just on the shaft with a roll pin. How much am I looking at $-wise for this stuff? I plan to call the dealer today, which I assume is the only place I can get these small parts. ??

Thanks for any help from you guys who have been inside these things. I've done a lot of work to my truck, but never gotten into the tranny. Sorry for the length, and thanks for any help.

Pete - now truckless [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

88YJ, 4"susp, JKS 1.25" body lift, 33"BFGMT, 9000# winch, homemade rear tire carrier, reb. 258, 999 auto, 4.10 axles, weber 32/36 carb w/adj. reg., GMHEI, CJ dash, ...and one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NP435 Shift linkage question / problem.

1. OK?
2. Metal on metal
3. Should be held on by a setscrew. Usually safety wired.
4. You prolly could, but I'd just find another trans in a yard (Pull-a-part?) and get a replacement cover. I gave $10 for a whole spare trans, and they should be interchangeable. You might even be able to swap Dodge cover onto it. Or you could weld up the fork with it still attached to the cover and replace the pads. I'm sure you can get the pads seperately. I had to replace a couple of small parts when I did my NP435 and I got them at the local dodge dealer for cheap.

Be sure to change the oil in it, too. The metal off the shift fork went somewhere . . .

Good Luck!

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jason, thanks! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I called around some places today and everyone wants to know the #s stamped in the side of the transmission. I will have to get those and see if I can find out how much the fork will be - I figured the pads wouldn't be too much $.

Thanks for telling me that it is metal on metal on the selector though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I didn't look that close at the forks - it could be a setscrew that's holding the forks on, looked like a pin when I looked at it quick. I didn't see any safety wire though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I will find out how much the fork is and then decide if I want to just go get a used cover. $10 seems awfully cheap for a whole tranny - from my experiences with my local u-pull it, it would probably be more. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks again
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, JKS 1.25" body lift, 33"BFGMT, 9000# winch, homemade rear tire carrier, reb. 258, 999 auto, 4.10 axles, weber 32/36 carb w/adj. reg., GMHEI, CJ dash, ...and one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 11:45 PM

that little ball thing on the end of the stick .....Is it firmly attached to the stick my np435 came out of a ford and the stick just sits in the ball thing's collar held in with a pin,,,from what I have been told this is a vibration damper ,and sometimes the pin wears or breaks allowing the trans to shift or not shift right stranding you ...I was advised to weld the stick to the collar.
I wish I knew where you guys were finding these things cheap it took me three weekends to find one that was complete with a shift housing and it was not cheap

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode