Jeep Apache P/U - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Apache P/U

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Jeep Apache P/U

ok....did you make that with a photo editor or is this some messed up grand cherokee pickup i've never heard of??? im guess the former of the two...but hey...ya never know

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300,
2000 TJ 4.0L, jamboree edition
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

wait...i thik i answer my own question....i think the letering on the side still says grand cherokee.....good editing then

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300,
2000 TJ 4.0L, jamboree edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Hehehe- If you look a little closer you can even see the blue "Limited" decal. I'm sorry that I can't take credit for this though, I found it on the net somewhere in the "Comanche Webring." Besides...I never would have called it an "Apache" since Chevy used that name back in the 50s. I've been hoping Jeep would bring back their full-size pick-up line for years now. (Imagine it, a 360 powered quadra-coil pick-up with standard straight axles and Jeep good looks!)

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 10:27 AM

Actually, Sycho, Jeep did toy with the idea of a convertible XJ in the early '90s. It was going to be called the Jeep Cherokee Freedom. I think the first photo might be of the prototype.

Why didn't he just buy a Comanche instead?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 11:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Cut up cherokees are great! This one belongs to a couple good friends of mine, and is affectionately called "the Black Rat"

Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

88YJ, 4"susp, JKS 1.25" body lift, 33"BFGMT, 9000# winch, homemade rear tire carrier, reb. 258, 999 auto, 4.10 axles, weber 32/36 carb w/adj. reg., GMHEI, CJ dash, ...and one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 02:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You guys may have already seen this . Looks like a Wrangler Truck contraption . It is actually a Police vehicle .

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Why does everyone always ask<font color=blue><font color=black> " So what did you get done on your Jeep today ? "</font color=black>
Attached Files
File Type: 9-247445-WranglerPoliceTruck (20.1 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Yep- that first picture is of the "Freedom" Damn shame it didn't catch on as it would have filled the niche left by the Jeepster Commandos. Most likely though it would have bombed and been discontinued only to be come a collector's item the very next year...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2000, 04:52 PM

I've often thought that the XJ was sort of the modern version of the Commando or at least it occupies the same market as the Kaiser/AMC Jeepster/Commando did. It is kind of a shame that that market expanded greatly when the XJ came along. The Commando was ahead of its time....and now is almost a collector item with a fanatical following...just visit our Commando "cousins" on their board to see how much they care about their Jeeps.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

BTW, how do they keep the structual integrity of a topped unibody XJ?? Do they use the Commanche body stiffeners??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode