disc vs. drum hub difference... an interesting day - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Addict

disc vs. drum hub difference... an interesting day

Well, finally got around to replacing the front wheel hub with the spun bearing with one from a used Dana 30 axle I got (thanks Curt aka bloodyknuckles [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). I had been assured by the tech guy at 4WD Hardware that the hubs were the same for disc and drum brakes. Folks, the interchangability is one way...... you can probably put a drum on a disc brake hub, which is probably what all new replacement parts are, but you can't put a disc on an old drum brake hub without machining the back side, though the casting is the same. Ever try to get machine work done on a Saturday afternoon?

All the machine shops were, of course, closed. So I figured, the area that needs to be machined is just the back of the hub, which should be a very similar operation to resurfacing a brake disc. Accordingly, I called the local chain muffler/brake shop..... "Bring it down, we'll look at it". When I got there they looked at it for a while and said no, they were afraid of breaking their lathe. I then figured a smaller outfit would be less worried about breaking the rules, so I went down the street to an independent garage and asked if they did brake disc turning. Again, they looked at it, mechanic said he didn't know how or if it could be done, so we went in to see if it'd fit on the brake lathe. The mechanic there wasn't their brake guy, though, didn't know how to run the lathe (he couldn't even find the ON switch!), so I had to show him (even though I'd never used any kind of machine lathe before[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) how to set it up and figure out how to adjust it to work on the hub. Got it going, and he said, "I'll just leave you to it" and left..... I continued to cut it down until it matched the machining on the bad hub I was replacing and the disc fit.

Finished up, cleaned up, set their machine back the way it was. They charged me $30, not bad I guess for custom machine work on a Saturday afternoon, even if I did do all the work (at least I know it was done right) and a new one only costs $45 (though by the time I got it, I'd have been hitching a ride to work for a couple of days). On the way out, the owner asked me what I did for a living..... I told him I'm an engineer, and he said, "So this is just a hobby for you? Too bad..... I'm looking for a new mechanic." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Can't wait to tell my boss I got a new job offer..... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-Dana

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode