????? BUYING NEW TJ – MANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

????? BUYING NEW TJ – MANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE HELP!

I’m buying a new TJ in about 4 months. I’ve decided to go with the 6cyl for sure. I plan to modify the Jeep with a 4” lift with 33’s /lockers front and back/stronger axles/gear change. However, when I buy the new TJ, I don’t want to get options that I don’t need/want - i.e.-I want to get the “right” Jeep the first time and not waste money….) Here are the questions I have…. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
*Auto vs. Manual trany? I’ve heard some say that the Auto is better when 4xing because you don’t loose momentum on a hill. I’ve also heard others say that the manual is better for 4xing because you have more control. Which do most of you think would be best long term?
*The dealerships that I’ve talked to say I have to get a “package”. Is this true or can I get a ‘stock’ 6cyl without all the extras?
*Are there any cheap mods that I can do when I first buy it? For eg; raising the 3rd brake light or taking off the corners of the front bumper?
*Any suggestions on trail tool kits? First aid or survival kits?
*Suggestions on racks for the back tire carrier? Also on this note, does anyone sell a roof rack that goes above the soft top without hindering the ability to put the soft top up and down?
*How ‘bout suggestions on some of the equipment? For instance what is a name brand of a good lift kit/tires/lockers and so on?
*Last question – Does anyone sell a book on this stuff? Something that could answer all these questions and the hundreds more I haven’t thought of yet?
Thanks in advance to all of you folks for the help I hope you’ll send!!! I hope to see some of you on the trail someday! My email is [email protected] if you all think of anything else…. THANK YOU!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 04:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ????? BUYING NEW TJ – MANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE HELP!

just my opinion....
get a/c ..then you'll get a 117 amp alternator and a bigger battery
get the dana 44 rear axle.. it will save thousands later, and it comes with 30 inch tires and 8" rims thast will accept 33's later.
since you have the dana 44 rear axle with 3.73 gears, get the nv3500 5 speed. you'll appreciate the overdrive.
usually the cheapest way to do this is with a package... you can allways e-bay off the add-a-trunk and whatever other crap it comes with.
stay away from the sahara, you'll pay a lot for plastic things...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 04:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know a whole lot about Tj's, but I do know to make sure you get the d44 rear. It seems pointless to buy any tj that will be modded without it, unless your gonna go crazy custom. It's just one less thing to do later. the 44 will take much more than that 35c. plus, you get the wider rims, which is great!

Oh yeah, fill out your profile.

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 117 amp alternator is now stock,the d44 is a must,everything else is your choice.

'98TJ Sahara,stays on the porch,too little to run w/the big dogs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 08:07 PM
FlMudCJ

The question you need to pose to yourself is: What kind of wheeling am I going to do...? This depends on the terrain and your personal style. Get affiliated with a local 4by club. Go on some trail rides with them, somebody'll let you ride along. Ask what mods they liked, hated, etc. There is no one universal buildup of any veichle, and there are a thousand ways to build a veichle to one purpose. As mentioned, the Dana 44 rear end is a must, UNLESS you are planning on immediately going to a different axle, in which case I can't see any advantage to it, because you'd need new rims with the new axle anyway.

My _PERSONAL_ opinion is : Don't build the veichle until you can drive it. I've seen too many 'ultimate built' rigs die on the trail because the driver didn't know what they had. I've also heard stories of 30+yr old un-modified jeeps running level 3 and up trails with a minimum of trouble.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 08:36 PM

Since your ordering the Jeep and not just buyin it off the lot, you maybe be able to convince Chrysler to put the 4.09 gears into your axles. They use those gears for all the 4-cylinder models so its not like they dont have the axles lying around to do this for you at no extra charge! I had heard hat the D44 rear axle option was discontinued in '99, but I would definately ask about it. Go with that 30" tire package for the 8" rims (and they'd better give you and 8" rim for the spare tire too!)

If you talk your way into the 4.09 gears, I'd just put some lunch-box lockers like the Lockright or EZ-locker into the axles so you dont have to re-set the gears. If you stick with the popular lift kit manufacturers you will get a quality kit. Rubicon Express and Superlift have been dominated the TJ market it seems with some very complete and well-thought out kit. I'd look into Rusty's Off-Road as well if cost is a factor. I've heard nothing but good things about his products and they are comparably inexpensive. He also sells the stronget version of the NP-231 Slip-Yolk Eliminator kits for the best price.

The very first things I would buy are tow hooks! A pair for the front and one of those reciever D-shackle ones for the rear if you get a tow-hitch with your Jeep, or put one on later. Then some sway-bar quick-disconects.

Get the AC anyhow- its nice to be able to roll/zip up the windows and crank up the AC to keep the dust out when your not the trail-leader [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 10:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Uuuh, sorry to mention this, but the D35C 4.09 gears won't fit into the D44 carrier. The D44's aren't offered in a 4.09 range. (The D35C isn't worth the gear swap) And don't let them convince you the D44 is discontinued! Hold out at all costs and they'll get you one.

If you're going to get the D44, which is a wise choice, get the Trac-Lok for now. Do the mods a piece at a time and still be wheeling the jeep, it'll take a lot of abuse stock.

Get the A/C, it helps while rock crawling. The computer likes to keep the engine at 1,000 rpm's while wheeling, and turning on the A/C slows it down to about 750, and it's even possible to stall it out with the A/C on. Without it on, I have driven up vertical hills, and the jeep will loose traction before the motor stalls, very impressive.

We got the vinyl seats, much easier to hose off, and we just put seatcovers on them for daily use.

Forget the tow hooks and off-road lights, they're junk. Slap a set of $5 10,000 pound tow hooks on it and have fun. Also forget about the receiver hitch, they just drag around. The new TJ's come with a rear tow hook as an option.

Get the package with the 19 gallon gas tank, and I recommend the manual tranny as well. Do a search on what to get, we have covered this many times in the past and I can't remember it all.

Also remember that if you're going to have a payment, have one that you can enjoy paying. All the extras won't amount to a hill of beans compared to paying the base price.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Remember, the 19 gallon gas tank is the same tank as the 15 (I think that's how big they say it is) gallon gas tank. It is just modified so only about 15 gallons will go in before the gas pumps shuts of. I have personally "topped off" the extra 4 gallons on my dad's jeep. There is a simple fix somewhere out there on the net so I'd save the $$$$ for something you don't already have.
The point here is both tanks are the same, you just have to modifiy a hose or something like that and then you can fill it all the way up

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Get what you want on it. If you don't like it you can always pull it off later and put it on ebay. Them guys will pay stupid amounts of money for something you deem worthless. I've seen the factory CD players going for over $300 when on my invoice I only paid $107. I plan on pulling off the side steps and selling them on the auction site sometime in the near future. But, also like the others said, the D44 is a must and it was not discontinued in 99 because my TJ was built the first week of June 00 and I purchased it June 26. So it is still there. Also if you order the canyon wheel package, you will get the D44 and five speed. That's just how it comes. Hope it helps.

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Wow, I didn't know that. I'd be intererested in more info about that swap if you can find it. Any other cool stuff out there?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode