1 piece axles worth the cash?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1 piece axles worth the cash??

Got to thinking about spending money on Moser 1 pcs, and, well, it kinda doesn't make a whole lot of sense... mosers go for 300 buck american, which is over 400 canadian. I plan on running 33" A/Ts and a 258, so it's not like my stock 2 piece deals are gonna snap like twigs. I figure for the money I spend on mosers, I could buy 3 sets of stock used axles, and I can't see myself breaking 4 sets of axles before I decide to go Bigger (axles, lift, tires, engine, etc)

And what parts break on the 2 pieces? the axles shafts, or the other piece thingy (can't think of the name) or both?? Thanx!

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1 piece axles worth the cash??

The hub spins on the shaft, ruining both.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 03:07 PM

as long as you tighten the hubs onto the shafts as tight as you can several hundred FTlbs of torque.
you might be alright!

most folks will damn near give you old 2 pc axles.
but the down time might eventually suck.

Id run them hard to see what kind of life you can get.

at $300 for 1 pc alxes ,id probably look at swapping another axle inthere, unless youve already spent $$ on it ( gears/locker)

OzarkJeep

"If I take a stand It will be my own"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 07:37 PM

First time you loose traction and get a little wheel speed, then have the tire hook back up those 2 peice will spin. I run 33's w/1 peice superiors and a 258 I haven't had a single problem since the spun hub.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think you will need the 1pc axles. Mine spun (not wheelin hard) not long after I put on a set of 33s. I was running the stock 258 at the time too. The Moser axles I bought a few years ago used their "special" bearing that I had to order (and wait) from them. I told them if I had know that fact, I would have never bought Moser axles in the first place. I belive Moser will now take the Timken set 9 bearings that you can get anywhere. After breaking an axle, it was time to upgrade. I'm now running Scout Dana 44s with Detroits and 35s. Best upgrade I'v made so far. Good luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

four50four-

It is ok to run two piece axles with large tires if you don't mind breaking down and getting stranded while wheel'n out in the middle of no-where. Of course, when you do break down the only way that you can get your jeep home is to fix it where it sits with the parts that you don't have. This means that you will end up beholding to others to help bail you out for the breakdown that you could have prevented.

It is $400 canadian but what is the cost to fix you jeep in the field on the side of a hill or the top of a rock pile a bunch of miles from home? I would (and have) change the axles as soon as the money allows.

Just a Thought!
Kriss

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmm, maybe I was just in a cheap mood this afternoon. Seems 1 pieces are worth the cash. Any better brand than Moser as far as bearing availability goes? Don't they come with wheel bearings???

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would go for moser or superior brand...both are the same price and come with new bearings.....if the bearings go bad...they are pretty standard.....they both use Timken bearings to my knowledge

and in regard to what you were saying before......would you really want to change your axles that many times?...glad you saw the light [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300,
2000 TJ 4.0L, jamboree edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode