Hints for Spotters - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hints for Spotters

<font color=blue>When you are the spotter, please remember to keep your "victims" tires ON THE ROCKS, so as not to fall into an embarassing situation in the Gorman Safety area. For those of you unfamiliar with the GSA, it's a man made, vehicle "obstacle" course to help those of us that have not ridden on a "true" trail...

Yes, that's right... yesterday I was lucky enough to fall off the side of a 14-18" rock, and become inextricably wedged between two rocks. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I was trying to "summit" a 32" rock by stepping up progressively taller rocks. After falling, one rock hung up my u-bolt skid plate and front 1/2 of the front leaf springs. At the rear, the spings were hung up on another rock. No amount of forward/rear motion could compensate for the rocks that my passenger side springs were hung up on. A little hi-lift action, and I was out, but not before about 15 vehicles offered me assistance. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Any other hints for spotters out there?

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:38 AM

Re: Hints for Spotters

Make sure you're standing off to the side of the vehicle's intended direction of travel, or that you have a clear path to get the H&!! out of the way after the vehicle clears the obstacle. Point out the direction that you want the driver to go while making eye contact with him, that way you know that he can see your directions.

Ken

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 12:12 PM

Use one spotter only, and make sure that you maintane visibilty between the spotters hands and the driver. I give a quick tap of the Horn if I especialy think I need assistance from my spotter, so that they dont have to, be totaly alert at all times and can enjoy the surroundings or take photos of other rigs and such.
This next one is very important. "If you dont trust your spotter, then Dont trust your spotter". If you need to get out of the vehicle to observe your situation then do it. You cant blame an inexperienced spotter for your mistakes if something nasty occures. You as the driver are the only one putting the downward pressure to the skinny pedal.
Your spotter should be wearing gloves, be familiar with safe winching techniques, and the winch controls should be hooked up and accessible to both of you in advance if your in very rugged terrain, sometimes only seconds remain between an easy save and a catastrophic failure.
Good communication skills between an experienced spotter, makes all the difference in the world. Im very lucky, Jeepchick takes pride and so has become, an excelent spotter.
Great topic to bring to the table, YJ94.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 12:28 PM

Just remember as the spotter when you are spotting over rocks as the Jeep front end climbs over the rock If you can't see the driver he more than likely can't see you. Be visable at all times and keep in constant contact, signal or voice.
Driver a spotter communicate before going to the trail. Stop means stop not slow and reverse means back up, not I think I can make it. The spotter sees more than the driver and if the driver questions the spotter then he should stop get out and verify.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>My spotter and I worked out a "thumbs up" system, based on something I read in Petersons (et al) a while ago.. whatever way the thumb goes, so goes the steering wheel. Forward thumb means gas, back thumb means slow down. Stop = stop, etc. It works great, and you don't have to scream at each other. What I FORGOT to communicate to my spotter was my EXACT plan. That was my fault. He thought I was trying to AVOID the rock... Just be clear about what you intend to do before you start it.

Also, if your spotter is down hill from you, make SURE they're out of the fall line, in case of roll...

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing you see alot of and is acceptable behaviour in some circles is the spotter hanging off the side of the vehicle to balance it in an off camber situation. This is a HUGE NO-NO! We don't allow it in our crawling comps, and I would never allow someone to do that on my vehicle. That thing starts to go anyway, the spotter just may end up a squished or severly injured spotter. NO ONE that is not strapped in should be in contact with the vehicle.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode