YJ I.F.S. swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ I.F.S. swap

I was at the store today and saw Off-road magazine sitting on the shelf. I love looking at the prerunners and race trucks that make even the nuttiest rockcrawler seem inexpensive. There's a nice Ranger on page 94 but other then that it was a waste of $3.50. But on page 72 there was a Jeep that'll make your stomach turn. At first sight it looks alright but then you see the torsion bars[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. Yep this guy built a YJ. Put a rear reverse rotation Dana 60 with rear steering anf 1/4 elliptic. Then he swapped in IFS up front. I can't recomend buying the magizine but if you see t on the rack pick it up it's good for a chuckle. Here's a favorite quote "Since Gordon would be using this rig in just about any terrain known to man, he decided to swap the front straight axle system for an independent version." Of course it's big, green and has graphics and a few brush buster murals along with Gordons name writen by the door. Man some peoples kids [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Happy Jeepin'
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:17 PM

Re: YJ I.F.S. swap

"...since Gordon would be using this on just about any dirt road known to man..." would have been better. HOWEVER...there was a giant white CJ-7 in the TTC a few years back that used IFS and he won (see attachment)! So don't knock IFS just because its inferior, knock it because its weird looking!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-237812-TTCJ-7.jpg (34.3 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Knock it cause it's so stinkin expensive to get it to perform at all!!!!

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

His Jeep was also in TTC 3 or 4 years ago. I can't remember how he did, but just to get voted into TTC would be an acomplishment. I havn't seen the magazine, but the name sounds familier. Is it a metalic green Jeep?

Thanks, Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I remember the White Jeep correctly at TTC it did quite well. But if you look at it you'll see that it has 2.5 ton rockwells for centersections. Also if memory serves it had 4 wheel steer and a fairly long travel suspension. This vehichle was built for playing in the snow in Canada where a beefy IFS system would be fine, but your pictures show why IFS blows donkeys on the rocks. When your tire goes up on a rock the differential gets closer to said rock. THIS IS BAD!!!! If you don't believe me I can post pictures of the skid plate off my Tacoma after running a mild 3.5 rock trail. IFS has its place, like on race trucks, but on the rocks it is a really bad idea. The article in Off-road made references to Jeep being used for rock crawling. It's kind of a shame, the Jeep had a nice rear steering reverse rotation dana 60 and an atlas Tcase. It seems the owner just started hitting the pipe a little too hard when it came time to build a front suspension. So in conclusion IFS on the rocks is bad, mmmkay? In a related topic I saw an ad somewhere for a company down south that makes 12" lift for ifs 1/2 ton chevys that's retains the Inferior-Front-Suspension. I used to see tons of Chevys whose front ends wore out every 3 months due to the additional strain of 33s on 10" wide wheels, imagine 44s[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. As for the Jeep itself it was metalic green and has "Brush Buster" graphics on the hood and rearend. I can't imagine there are many like it.
Happy Jeepin'... with solid axles[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I remember the big white CJ, but this one was a green CJ on 35 inch Boggers. I am pretty sure the guys name is Gordon. He must have built a YJ the same way he built his CJ. IMHO, IFS is a step backwords, what a waste.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode