bumpsteer and related problems, looking for ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

bumpsteer and related problems, looking for ideas

well just got some coffee and set down at the shop,
i'm looking for some help or ideas for a new drap link system i think.
After swapping in the 65' closed knucklefront and making it a spring under, i created some problems (most are fixed) and now it's down to a "bumpsteer" and clearance problem that a Pitman arm with more drop won't help! i've got some clearance issues as you may be able to see in the picture:

i was going to explain everything but to much typing,
you can read it at the bottom right of this page (if you want to) http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/frontsus.html i think it explains everything pretty good, also could someone tell me how slow (or fast) this page loads on there computor.

thanks

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: bumpsteer and related problems, looking for ideas

nice page.. loaded pretty fast.. here is an ideal.. if you cant adjust that steering box for the turn that you would like.. i think to fix this you will have to swap out that box... and get one that has the desired turning radius.. then you can go with a shorter pitman arm.. and i would also consider building a riser for the tierod.. i built mine from scratch.. its not pretty.. but yesterday i drove it around the block.. and it worked good.. or you can get yourself some solid round stock.. and drill out a hole thru the center.. and replace the tie rod ends with hiem joints.. but i dont know how they handle on the street.. that is why i didnt do that to mine.. and just built some homemade risers for my tie rod.. when i did mine i also brought the ends in towards the center.. to get around hitting the rim..
my set up is not complete.. to darn ugly.. i am thinking of several options.. and in time... i will decide.. hope this gives you an ideal or two..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:36 AM
Can't Get Enough

I know that you are aware that bump steer is caused by lack of parallelism. It seems that the only to get your linkage parallel is to lower the pitman arm, or raise the drag link's other side. Since you have a closed knuckle 44, the flat top, cross over steering kits won't work, unless you fab something yourself. Check out this article for a Suzuki, which also uses a closed knuckle, king pin design. It replaces the king pin's upper cap, or you can also fab some kind of bolt on arm that goes over your existing cap.

http://www.bc4x4.com/pr/2000/brzstr/brzstr.asp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>No idea how to help,
but the page fully loaded in about 1.5 seconds.
Gotta love the "tweaked" cable modem!

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

well`it`seems`the`space`bar`ain't`working`on`my`ke yboard`now`Hmmm.
i`guess`i'll`use`"`"`for`now.
the`idea`of`a`steering`box`with`more`turning`trave l`or`rotation`i`never`thought`of,`i`like`it`(all`e xcept`for`the`dollars)
you`said`"if you cant adjust that steering box for the turn that you would`like."`are`you`maybe`saying`that`some`have`a way`to`adjust`the`steering`box`stops?
Hmmm`maybe`i`could`find`away`to`rebuild`the`box`i` got,`to`make`it`do`what`i`want.
thanks,
using`this```for`a`space`is`very`hard`i'm`going`to`wallmart`to `get`a`new`keyboard[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

this is a picture of the K-Link system, i've never seen it in person or even heard anybody using it but it looks like it would work.
anyone know about this?
so my thinking is i want to make a new heavy drag link anyway, just make 2 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
and pretty much copy there design exactly. just position that "bellcrank thing" alittle forward.
also i could go back to a factory pitman arm (which will move the tierod forward, out of contact range) and depending on how i build the bellcrank and position the pivot points i could make it give me more throw left and right, (while using the shorter pitman arm)

anyway thats a pretty sweet looking steering system don't you think? FYI it's about $500

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In certain circumstances If you shorten pitman arm's, then you'll loose turning radias, you could build up the drag link off the tie rod, or build a track bar but the track bar will have to parallel the drag link. it look's like you need between 2 or 3 inch's of lift on the drag link. You could also build up off the knuckle so the drag link connect's to it and build a bracket off the 4 bolts on the top of the king pin cap for x strenght.

---------------------
Mike Duncan
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I rotated the steering box down a bit on mine. It workes great. If you look at the steering shaft coming down from the steering wheel, you'll see that the steering box is rotated up in the back. You can rotate it down quite a bit and improve the location of the pitman arm a lot. Just remove the bracket that holds the box and cut the shelf off it. Takes about 20 min with a hand hacksaw (yuck). Then locate the box where you want it and drill and weld in some tubing for the new hole locations. Doing this will absolutely require a steering box brace to the opposite framerail, because you've removed a portion of the factory box support. With the brace to the other frame rail, it's much stronger than stock.

I made this mod, and I have very little draglink angle, bumpsteer is almost non-existent, and that's with a 6.5" SOA and a stock pitman arm. I had to move the box anyway, because I pushed the axle forward a bit and the draglink overlapped the tie rod too much. Rotating the box down moved the pitman arm down and forward enough to solve all these problems.

I ended up having the steering shaft extend about 2 inches. It still has plenty of overlap. If you're body lifted, your experience may be different in this area.

Hope this helps!

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:27 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Why not just go with a "Z" link like the Zuki's use? Basically it's a bent tie rod, and any local machine shop can make them, with stronger ends, for a lot less than $500.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 02:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To put a bend in a drag link, like a Z, does NOTHING. All it does is let you get under the spring on a SOA. If you draw a line from the tie rod on the pitman arm to the tie rod on the knuckle, it will go in a ark, now do it to a Z link, it still go's in the same ark as the straight one. Take a piece of rod and do it on the floor,then move it up and down, draw a line, then do the Z link. Then you'll see they run the same.This does not solve bumpsteer

---------------------
Mike Duncan
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode