95 or 97 which to chose - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

95 or 97 which to chose

I just got the opritunity to trade in my 95 wrangler twards the purchase of a 97.
the 97 only has 38000 miles as apposed to my 95 at 89000 they both are equaly stock

That brings me to my question I like my 95, but the price is right on the 97 but wich ine is really better the 95 with a straight axel, or the 97 with low miles and the indipendant front susp??

I am shure this will start a good argument thanks

95 Rio Grande Mostly stock, but seeing what I can do about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:46 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: 95 or 97 which to chose

If it were my money... I'd buy the 97 for the coil suspension. The worry would be that it's the first production year...

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:11 AM

I would keep the 95 since its aready paid for.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rio,the '97 has coil springs and solid axels-not independent.
It's your money-which one do you like to drive the best?

'98TJ Sahara,stays on the porch,too little to run w/the big dogs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:35 AM

Rio,
The newer TJs, are very expensive to lift propperly, and still have all of the dowwnfalls of the earlier YJs as far as, slip yoke T case, no front locking hubs, marginaly strong stock axles(the D44 rear axle, if present would be a nice step up though).
Just like the YJ the TJ costs thousands of dollars to get to a formidable off road condition.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:34 PM

Stock YJ vs Stock TJ though isn't much of a comparison. The TJ has much better suspension (stock vs stock here guys, remember!) Also, I like the interior of the TJs more. The vents and everything are laid out much better.

If your looking at it from the view that you will build both of them up, the YJ seems the better route. SOA suspensions still seem superior to coil-spring suspensions, and you can lift a leaf-sprung Jeep much higher, much cheaper, and much more easily than a coil-sprung Jeep.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, do you plan on modding?? if not, I'd say go with the TJ. It'll ride nicer, probably be better off-road, have more "car-like" characteristics, etc, etc. If you gonna build a half-decent wheeler, than it's a tough call. I'm guessing this will still be daily transportation, so it still has to be streetable, and won't get too crazy. Sure YJ's are easier to mod, but cool Tj's are less common, and do perform well with coils vs a simialar height SUA lift.. Hmmmm, I'd say if he TJ has a d44 underneath it, it's a sign to buy it. If not, keep the YJ.

Ahh, screw it, get some real round headlights. You know, the ones with the blinkers underneath the 'lamps and round rear fender flares. Then you'll be set.

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rio_Grande-

I have a problem with the air bags in the TJ. Something about them being in a Jeep. Besides, for the bucks you will be paying for the TJ, how many good upgrades can you get for the YJ?

Just a Thought!
Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:14 PM
Wrangler88

welp i'm in the same boat you are, expect my 95 wrangler has alot of mods to it, but other than that i have been considering, should i sell my YJ and buy a TJ or not, i do like the suspension of te TJ, but i hate the inside of it, its to carish, i don't like the inside of my YJ either, but i don't got a CJ, the Airbags, in the TJ can be turned off, i don't relly like airbags anyway, you can lift the YJ easyier, jeep engines run forever if cared for so i woundn't worry about your miles on yours...the money you spend on a new TJ, you could have a good trailready YJ, you could go blow $1500 and have the same suspenion as a TJ, and still have your old jeep, i like th sqaure lights more than the round ones but still like the CJ front better than all 3, anything u want to do with a TJ you can do with a YJ cheaper, my only reason i wanted a TJ was to get a better suspension, but i noticed its cheaper for me to buy the procomp coil system, and put it on than buy a new jeep, if i wanted the procomp ones for example, you just gotta decide ohw much u wanna spend and for what reason then go from there, what really are u gonna be using this for, just some thoughts hope i make sense and this helps, have a good one!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I drove the TJ most of the day, and they do ride much smoother than the yj. After quite a bit of concideration I am going to get the TJ, but am keeping some of my mods like the 31's and interior add ons. Pretty much anything that will fit the TJ. I neglected to tell you that I still owed about 6000 on the YJ and for 26$ more than the payment I am making on it I could have the TJ. I see the up side to it, but I also see the down. I have to drive it every day, and the last few Indiana winters with the soft top have been difficult.. So I will now be exploring the wonders of the TJ and probably spend more time working on my truck until the price of TJ components goes down. thanks

95 Rio Grande Mostly stock, but seeing what I can do about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode