2.5L hookup to TH400 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

2.5L hookup to TH400

Anyone know if this will work without adapters? The engine hooked to the TH400 right now is an AMC 232. All this talk about the 2.5L recently got me thinking about swapping one in. I have the 2.5L in my wrangler and I like the little engine, quiet, reliable, and economical. The swap would be into my 48 Flattie on a cut down 72 Commando frame and running gear with the axles from my 70 Commando with 4.27's. Plenty of go juice for a flattie also injection would be sweet.

John
0 fairy dust incidents but counting.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 08:35 PM

Re: 2.5L hookup to TH400

I dont believe the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder AMC engines will interchange. If they did they everyone would know it just like we know all the 6 and 8 cylinder engines interchange. That TH-400 is a heavy brute and can take the power of pretty much any automotive engine. Kinda negates using a lighter engine and a heavy tranny like that doesn't it? The 904 and 909 autos used in 4-cylinder Cherokees and Comanches would bolt up to the engine. I think a 904 bellhousing would bolt to a 999 tranny, which has a 2.75:1 first gear- one of the lowest first gears used in any Jeep autobox (the AW30-40 used a 2.8:1 first gear.) Then you are left with finding an x-case to bolt to the rear of the 999. Once again I think a Dana 300 will bolt up since this tranny was used in CJs from 80-86, the same years the D-300 was used. That would be a really nice, light-weight set-up in a Flatefender for sure!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I will most likley stick with the 232 then, I have the TH400, it is already overkill for that engine too, but hey it works. Free is always good. I am not into the new Jeep traniies and t-cases, I don't have much experience with them. I blew my 89 Wrangler t-case in half with stock tires, a 4 banger and a 5 speed, I wheel my Jeepster a lot harder than that and never had that problem with my trusty D20. Thanks for the info.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 11:03 PM

The D-300 is a very stout, gear driven case with a 2.6:1 low range. But your right- you can't beat free unless they paid you to haul it out of the yard!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I know the D300 case is a strong one, it is that NP231 or something in the wrangler that I distrust. Some might have something different to say, but mine blew in two, so no trust from me. Did not get paid to take it out of the yard, but a free Jeepster is a free Jeepster! I guess sometimes good deals just happen like that other post. I also bought an SM465 adapted for a 225 V6 and a D20 for $150, that is a top priority project.

John
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 12:13 AM

Yeah- at the local rip-off Jeep specialty store there is an NP-231 snapped in half. Looks very cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I just sold mine for $100 and then came up with this Comanche 2.5L/AX-5/AX-5/NP-207 project for after I sell the DJ. Talk about some week parts! And that 207 would have swapped with my much stronger 231 perfectly. Oh well, I can find another one around here and there are 3 207s at the junkyard for spares [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You prolly have a 258, not a 232 unless it was swapped in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode