t-5 transmission woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

t-5 transmission woes

Hey guys, I've got a question for you regarding the t-5. I'm not a transmission expert by anymeans, so maybe this is a simple question, I hope so at least. In reassembling my jeep, I've run into numerous problems with my transmission. Currently, the problem is that the third/fourth gear syncronizer sleeve, does not slide well on the hub. Those pesky inserts keep pooping up too far, and even when aligned perfectly with the blocking ring, they will not lay flat again, and I cant get into gear. I don't know what the problem is, but its driving me crazy. I can push the inserts down with my finger, and slide the sleeve, but when I'm not pushing them down, they pop up and hold me from getting back to neutral. What can I do to eliminate this problem other than get rid of this horrible transmission. Please help, thanks -Todd

82 CJ-7
T-5, 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: t-5 transmission woes

Todd, do you have the syncros (blocking ring) laying against the hub? If you don't the sleeve will push the inserts right out when they are moved. When the transmission is assembled the blocking rings will hold it all together.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure what you mean, there is a little play between the blocking ring and the hub, but very very minimal. I can lay all of the inserts flat, and push the sleeve over them, but once it is far enough past, the inserts pop up again. Its not like they pop up a little bit. They come up enough to make about a 45 degree angle from the shaft. I dont understand why they come up so far. The blocking ring is notched in three or four spots, I assume that is how they lock the sleeve, but there is way to much movement in the inserts, they almost come out entirely during shifting. I'm very confused

82 CJ-7
T-5, 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 07:48 PM

Hmmm,
i'm sure we can fix this, don't worry,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i'm thinking this can be fixed, got acouple initial questions,
did you remove the mainshaft, or input shaft?
1. are 2 brass rings there, one on each side?
2. are 2 round spring clips, on the inside of the 3 little things there, also one on each side ?
3. not sure about your outer sychro ring, some have a "sweet spot" that the 3 blocks need to slide in,
4. not sure again but the inner sychro gear, (one around the main shaft itself) can be backwards, i think one side is thicker, which allows the sychro to slider farther one way.
LOL

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 02:06 AM
chasejeep7

Are you putting it in fourth gear before you installed it onto the adapter (with the part between 11 and 12 on pic above) between the transmission and transfer case?? If so, it will make those "dogs" pop out because there is nothing there to stop it from past the stopping point of 4th gear. Now if it's on the adapter it has a stopping point on the machined pattern inside the adapter. I think this is what is happening to you. If you have any questions I think I can answer them or at least help. I had it apart once and studied it well because it was my first transmission and had to take it apart twice beause the first time I put too many shims in it making it too tight. Be sure you replace the bearings (small parts kit) while you are there. Also when installing, putting on the metal piece (again peice between 11 & 12) on the rod in the adapter put it in 1st or 2nd (just trick I learned the hard way) otherwise it might jam into 4th creating the dogs to pop out on you before you get it together. Good Luck,
chase

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3/4tonYJ,
I have not removed anything internal from the transmission. I know for sure there were two spring clips inside the hub, they were definately causing some trouble. They were what was pushing the inserts so far up. As far as the brass rings go, I'm not sure exactly if they are there, I'll go check, I have to take the case apart again anyways. I doubt they would be gone, I haven't taken anything apart like that, and it did work, once. There is definately a sweet spot on the sychro ring, where it has to be aligned right for the tabs to slide into. I don't think the inner sychro gear is backwards, because I have not changed it and I have driven with it like this for some time. I hope some of this helps, I'd like to solve this soon, its holding me up. Thanks for your help -Todd

82 CJ-7
T-5, 258
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That sounds great. I think I know what you are talking about. What I have been doing is putting it in neurtral, gears and lever, and then bolting the cover on, and then sliding the transfer case on, and then putting the adaptor on. When I am pressing the adaptor on is when it seems to slip into fourth gear, and get stuck. Are you saying that every thing might be fine, it is just that I am allowing a motion that would not be occuring typically by going through the normal shifting? You're saying that what I need to do is put int in 2nd gear when putting the adaptor on, and it would not get stuck? That sounds like a pretty good explaination to me? I'm going to go try it right now, wish me luck. Thanks guys - Todd

82 CJ-7
T-5, 258
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:47 PM
chasejeep7

Yes, I think you've got it. That's exactly what I was trying to say. Hope everything works.
chase

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode