Re: engine running hot
MAN, you are really stuck on that oil cooler!!
It's always a good idea to add an oil cooler, but put it inside the radiator.
Here is something to try...
1. Check you radiator cap. Lots of times the aluminum radiators don't have enough pressure to keep the water from boiling.
2. Use a 50/50 mix if anti-freeze and water. "Anti-freeze" or coolant additive will raise the boiling point, and is more efficient than water at transferring heat.
3. Get a cooking thermometer and put it in the radiator neck, then start the vehicle.
See if the thermometer and the gauge agree, it may just be your gauge. It's always good to verify your gauge, and worth the $4.
If the vehicle overheats...
4. Take the thermostat out, and put it in a pan of water with the thermometer, and put it on a stove burner.
Watch to see when the thermostat opens, and verify the opening temperature...
USE A THERMOSTAT, AND USE THE CORRECT TEMP FOR THE ENGINE. Don't get creative, the engineers knew more than you, so don't try to out smart them...
5. Make sure there is a proper size surge tank, HOOKED UP CORRECTLY.
It's so easy to do correctly, but about half are installed wrong.
6. Use a full size, tight fitting fan shroud. There should be no more than about 1/2" between the blade tips and the shroud.
If you don't have one, get one, if your fan doesn't fit the one you have, get a new fan or new shroud.
You can have one made for about $15 at any tin duct work shop... Make your template out of poster board, and take it in.
7. Use a fan clutch, and make sure it's working properly. If you don't know, replace it. If you don't have one, get one.
8. Use the big, stock type fan with the large blades with turned up tips. The only thing flex fans are good for is drag racing, cutting your hands up, making the engine overheat, and eating the radiator.
9. Use a spring in your lower radiator hose. Lower hoses can get sucked flat when they get hot and soft, and the radiator isn't flowing as much as the pump.
If you do all of these things, and it still overheats, get back with us, and we'll start in with the unlikely things....
"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"