engine running hot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine running hot

i have a 401 mildly warmed over in my cj7, i have a griffin aluminum radiator in it, with a seperate tranny cooler, the tranny temp is fine, i was wondering if anyone has run an oil cooler, if they help.it runs fine down the road but when i'm wheeling she will overheat. any helpmwould be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: engine running hot

Do you have a fan shroud, its almost more important than the radiator itself!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes i have a shroud on it, was also thinking of drilling holes in the hood ( on the sides ) i am concerned, i could have the world's most costly paperweight if i can't figure it out
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about adding an electric fan in front of the radiator, either thermo controlled or just a simple switch.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

brad,
thats on the to do list, i have a fan it will be hooked up shortly, i am very intrigued by the oil cooler as well. thanks for all your suggestions. all are greatly appreciated
allen

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 10:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An oil cooler will help,but only if the cooling system is running properly!If you've done a body lift,did you lower the radiator?Use only the proper hoses(rubber hoses get soft with oil)A much cheaper way to go,may be a 160 degree t-stat(they are popualar with the computer controlled crowd now,trickes the 'puter into full choke mode)let me know what you come up with,don't really need it 'round here,but mods are always cool to show off to the guys,lol
Matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am putting a new thermostat in tommorow, also cutting holes in hood. will install the electric fan following that
going to mount tranny cooler and oil cooler between the two radiator support bars with an electric fan on them
i was hoping someone had used an oil cooler and could let me know their view on them. any one ever use water wetter or anything similar
thanks
allen

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:59 PM

MAN, you are really stuck on that oil cooler!!
It's always a good idea to add an oil cooler, but put it inside the radiator.

Here is something to try...
1. Check you radiator cap. Lots of times the aluminum radiators don't have enough pressure to keep the water from boiling.
2. Use a 50/50 mix if anti-freeze and water. "Anti-freeze" or coolant additive will raise the boiling point, and is more efficient than water at transferring heat.
3. Get a cooking thermometer and put it in the radiator neck, then start the vehicle.
See if the thermometer and the gauge agree, it may just be your gauge. It's always good to verify your gauge, and worth the $4.
If the vehicle overheats...
4. Take the thermostat out, and put it in a pan of water with the thermometer, and put it on a stove burner.
Watch to see when the thermostat opens, and verify the opening temperature...
USE A THERMOSTAT, AND USE THE CORRECT TEMP FOR THE ENGINE. Don't get creative, the engineers knew more than you, so don't try to out smart them...
5. Make sure there is a proper size surge tank, HOOKED UP CORRECTLY.
It's so easy to do correctly, but about half are installed wrong.
6. Use a full size, tight fitting fan shroud. There should be no more than about 1/2" between the blade tips and the shroud.
If you don't have one, get one, if your fan doesn't fit the one you have, get a new fan or new shroud.
You can have one made for about $15 at any tin duct work shop... Make your template out of poster board, and take it in.
7. Use a fan clutch, and make sure it's working properly. If you don't know, replace it. If you don't have one, get one.
8. Use the big, stock type fan with the large blades with turned up tips. The only thing flex fans are good for is drag racing, cutting your hands up, making the engine overheat, and eating the radiator.
9. Use a spring in your lower radiator hose. Lower hoses can get sucked flat when they get hot and soft, and the radiator isn't flowing as much as the pump.

If you do all of these things, and it still overheats, get back with us, and we'll start in with the unlikely things....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode