Mud Run Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mud Run Help!

I need some advise; I am entering my first Mud Run next weekend and any help you can give would be greatly apprecated!
I do have some specific questions:

1. Should I use any gas additive or run high oct. fuel? My engine is stock with an aftermarket intake manifold and 600cfm 4bbl. Will it give me any advantage?

2. Light weight vs Heavy. Should I take the hardtop and doors off? Low on fuel or full?

3. I heard of people removing their fan to keep it from hitting the mud, good idea?

(Just got new shoes! 33x12.5!)

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, 2.5" Rancho Lift, Rust. "JeepHeap"
79 IH Scout II, 304 V8 Auto, Stock.

Round Headlights have more fun.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 08:07 PM

Re: Mud Run Help!

don't break in the track (or be the 1st to go)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
lighter is always faster,
but to get more specific i got to know if it's a "Bog" or a "Fast Track" (200 ft.)
this is a picture from 3/4tonYJ's mud racing days

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been to watch two other mud runs put on by the same guy, but this one is at a different place. He told me the pit is about 1 foot deep and if its like the other one, its around 200 feet long.

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, 2.5" Rancho Lift, Rust. "JeepHeap"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:00 PM

Light-weight is always faster, but, depending on how much mud your tires will throw inside the Jeep, you might want to keep the doors and top on. 20lbs of soft-top is easier to clean up than 20lbs of mud in the bed. And the windshield wipers will do nothing to clean off mud INSIDE the windshield.

I would just run 93 octane gas- no additives needed.

Sounds like you've got more carb than your camshaft can deal with. Get a performance camshaft soon or you'll never get your money's worth out of that big carb.

I wouldn't bother removing the fan. With only 1' of mud you'll be about hub-deep or so, nothing serious.

That tire size should be good in 1' deep mud, but keep an eye on how the guys running 33x10.5 tires are doing to see if they appear to get more traction.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 08:06 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>With your setup (304/3-speed/Dana 20/probably 3.54's/33's) launch in second gear, low range. For a deeper pit, this might be a bit much gear, but not for only 1'. In fact, if it's 200' long, be prepared to possibly shift to 3rd if you feel you're gaining speed & are maxed out on RPM's by mid-track. Shifting can really zap momentum, so don't try it unless you're really flyin'. Definitely take off the top & doors & all the seats except yours, plus the spare tire (assuming they'll let you remove all of the above). A stock 304 can get away with no fan even if you warm it up a bit, but make Sure you put the bolts back in the pulley! If you have an open air cleaner, get an oil drainpan & put it upside down over the filter (you'll have to poke a hole in it to go over the carb post). Spray lots of WD40 over the plugs & distributor, and it wouldn't hurt to put a plastic bag over the distributor. Good luck & tell us how it went!!!</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Archie,

where are you running, up in Embden?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, its in Pittston, Maine (about 15 min south of Augusta). If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll forward you the info I got.

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, ? Lift, 33x12.5's, Rust. "JeepHeap"

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"Sounds like you've got more carb than your camshaft can deal with. Get a performance camshaft soon or you'll never get your money's worth out of that big carb."

Now, this brings up a very interesting question.... how do I tell if I have a upgraded camshaft? PO didn't know anything and the intake and carb came with the Jeep. Any Help?

Archie Gallup
Bath, Maine

78 CJ-7 HT, 304 V8, 3spd, ? Lift, 33x12.5's, Rust. "JeepHeap"

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:58 PM

Yikes! Good question [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If your carb is tuned well but the idle sounds rough you definately have an upgraded camshaft. If it doesn't idle rough you still might have an upgraded camshaft. All too often though, someone just slaps on a bigger carb expecting huge gains in performance and is dissapointed when the engine has trouble dealing with all that fuel and not enough air. I've seen some people put carbs on an engine that were so big, even with tons of performance parts the engine was overcarbed (Like a Holley 650 double-pumper on a 4.2L!) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode