34x9.50's on a yj with 5" of lift will they fit?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 01:10 AM
89yjsahara

34x9.50\'s on a yj with 5\" of lift will they fit??

I really want to go to 34x9.50 Super Swamper TSL's on my yj with 5" of lift.. I just checked my lift height tonight and I have just exactly 5" from stock hieght.. (It used to be 6", it sagged from wheelin) Ive got 31x10.50 dunlop muds now.. and I would like to go to 34x9.50's when these tires wear out.. in like 1500 miles so I want to know if they will fit, or if I will have to get a body lift.. I am hoping to just have to get a 1" body lift if I have to get one.. I would prefer to not get one though if at all possible.
Scott :COOL:

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 5" of lift, soon to have 33x10.50 BFG AT KO's my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 34x9.50\'s on a yj with 5\" of lift will they fit??

I have Q78s on a TJ with a lift that started out as a 3.5" TeraFlex, but has been added onto and changed around so that now it is probably in the 5" range, maybe 6", but I doubt it. The Qs are a good inch taller than the 34x9.5s and a good couple of inches wider. Mine works fine. My guess is that the 5" will work well with the 34x9.5s. That is an EXCELLENT tire for the trail, BTW. IMO, one of the best for a Jeep.
Only thing you need to keep in mind is that they require a narrow rim. A fellow club member is running the 9.5s on an 8" rim, and he cannot keep them on the rim even at over 10 psi. He actually popped a bead at 18 psi. I run my Qs down to 4 to 5 psi on 7" rims with no problem at all. You probably need about a 6" rim with the 9.5s, maybe even a 5". Someone else can probably address that better than I can.

Check out the rim width recommendations on the Interco web site. They recommend a 6.5" rim for the Q78 and a 7" rim for the 34x9.5. Seems backwards to me. The two tires are different, but the Q is obviously wider.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 01:32 AM
89yjsahara

Doug, Ive got a 7" rim, and that is what the tire woul dbe going on.. when I am off road.. I never go below 10 psi for the type of wheelin I do.. I do a lot of small rocks and some larger, but have never had the need for less than 10 psi.. so I think I will be fine in that area.. Thanks for the comments.. I am going to do some measuring tommorow to see if they will fit..
Scott

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 5" of lift, soon to have 33x10.50 BFG AT KO's my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I added to my first reply after you read it, I think.

As far as your running 10 psi with the TSLs, I think you will NOT be happy with that. They will just about run the hwy at that pressure. You will see little or no bulge in the sidewalls until you get down to at least 6 psi.

One of the guys in the club was running the 34x9.5 TSLs on a Suzuki. He took the valve core completely out. The sidewalls were strong enough to hold the veh up for trail driving with ZERO psi.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 01:44 AM
89yjsahara

Doug.. thank you for the informationm provided.. it was a great help to me, now all I need to do is some measuring, and a little more saving and the tires of my dreams are mine! thank you for the info regarding psi.. I will take it all into consideration before making my purchase..
Scott

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Wait a minute. I'd go with the 34x10.5 Swamper in your case. The 34x9.5's are a great tire, but the YJ's tend to be a little heavier, so they dig to China a lot easier with those tires. I have a friend running the 10.5's on his "heavier" CJ-7, and he loves them. They'd also fit perfectly on your stock 7" rims. They have started back with production of them, but you may have to ask for them specifically, I know of a guy that just got a set. I'm thinking Q78's myself, but will wait for the new 37" Bogger to come out before making any decisions.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Either size should be good, the 9.5 or the 10.5. The 10.5 would probably be a better fit for your 7" rims. You do realize that neither will provide anywhere near the hwy wear that you have enjoyed with your BFGs. The TSLs will wear out very quickly on the hwy.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode