No oil pressure--WHAT HAPPENED? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

No oil pressure--WHAT HAPPENED?

I picked up my CJ tonight after having the rear main seal, the pan gasket, and the valve cover gasket replaced. There was a tinny-sounding noise coming from under the hood. I was told it was the muffler! I didn't even make it home.(18 miles) I now have a LOUD knock and NO oil pressure! There is oil on the dipstick, but it doesn't look like new oil. It's kinda gray and thin. What may have happened?? Also, what do I need to have checked now?
Thanks

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/Truetrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...345&p=27638819
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 05:25 AM

Re: No oil pressure--WHAT HAPPENED?

that surely doesnt sound good!

document everything and immediately return it to the shop, if its what it sounds like and they are the typical shop they will try and get out of it, so youll need to involve another shop.

it sounds as if your engine is hashed.
good luck

OzarkJeep

"If I take a stand It will be my own"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 05:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Theres two ways you can go,if its a shop you trust,have it towed back,let them see what happened.A reputable shop will stand behind there work and take care of this problem.Or tow to another shop and see.get all the documentation,tow charges ect.you may need it to get the first shop to pay for the repairs if its their fault.

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

The shop that did the work picked it up this morning, and I was there when the valve cover came off. There was nothing out of place under there, but there WAS lots of metal in the oil. They said they would take care of it IF it was their fault. How likely is it that this is unrelated to their work? I never had a problem before this with the motor.

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/Truetrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 02:40 PM

Sounds fishy. Were they too cheap to put in new oil after replacing the oil pan gasket? They may have knocked the pick-up tube out of whack when putting the pan back on and oil starved the motor. Did you notice any pressure at start up?

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I supplied the oil to reinstall. (Valvoline) The pressure was normal cold. As the motor warmed up and was driven, the pressure dropped steadily to near zero at idle with a LOUD knocking. This morning at his shop, the cold pressure was 20 at idle, instead of the usual 60.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 04:54 PM

that BLOWS.

Its more than likely a problem with the work done by the shop, but SINCE its going to take a new engine ( or a rebuild of the current) to rectify teh situation they arent going to admit fault, unless they are REALLY HONEST.

Im afraid it might a hard fight to prove neglect/or wrong doing, its the worst fear of anyone having work done in a shop!

be very careful, take good notes, write everything down, talk to all of the employees, call the Better Business Bureau they may have a past history.

that really sucks, Ive been burned before too, I feel for you.
If they make it right youll get a new engine in the deal!

OzarkJeep

"If I take a stand It will be my own"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:46 PM

I really can't see how changing gaskets would have this kind of effect on a motor. The only possibility that I can think of as relates to the work done is if the oil pick-up assy. was knocked loose in the pump body. This needs to be an air tight seal. I once had the same problem where the oil press. would come up normal and slowly drop down to zero as the motor/oil heated up. The pump was not air tight and resulted in cavitation, lack of vacuum, and a resultant lack of press. Either way, it sounds like the motor is going to need some work. It would be interesting to find out where the metal in the pan came from. Were they shavings or actual "pieces"?

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I won't see the pan off until tomorrow morning. The oil had a lot of "glitter" to it that could be seen on the dipstick and on top of the rockers.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, but this is really driving me nuts.
Is there ANY way that this was NOT related to their work?
I can't think of anything, other than an oil pump failure.
Ideas...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode