Attn Ignition Goda: MSD tach question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Attn Ignition Goda: MSD tach question

with the sale at partsamerica.com, i don't think i can pass up getting an offroad MSD ignition for the TJ. the questions are:
will i need a special wiring harness, or will it come with everything i need for my TJ?
what extras are needed to make the tach work correctly?

i guess thats about it for now

frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 02:56 PM

Re: Attn Ignition Goda: MSD tach question

The MSD pack comes with everything to connect it to your vehicle. Just a matter of connecting the wires as per instructions. As for the tach., it depends on whether or not it is factory or aftermarket, and if you are using the magnetic trigger or the "white wire" trigger.

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 08:34 PM

*stealth_frank* asked,
*with the sale at partsamerica.com, i don't think i can pass up getting an offroad MSD ignition for the TJ.
the questions are:
will i need a special wiring harness, or will it come with everything i need for my TJ?
what extras are needed to make the tach work correctly?*

Well, if you had told us what year vehicle you have, what engine it has in it, and any modification you might have made to the ignition now, we could give you a comprehensive answer.

MSD sells several types of adaptors that will aid is dozens of installations, and keep you from having to cut up your factory wiring harness.
We can't tell you which ones that you need, because we don't know what you are running.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Team Rush,

sorry about not being specific enough in my first post (all the information is in my profile, but i guess i shoulda repeated it.)

98 TJ
4.0L
stock ignition

frank

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 09:41 PM

How can I find the parts america prices, and or catalog, and dont you need a special order number?
I am very intersted in an MSD for the little 2.5 mill and Ill swap it into the 5.0 later with different harness adapters.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 09:50 PM

I do a lot of these replys, and chasing info, especally at home with a slow internet connection, gets to be a pain.
It's just a lot easier to post it with the problem.

I don't know of any quick wiring harness, but MSD slides stuff by me all the time!!
You never know what's next....

Give the tech guys a call at 915-855-7123
Tech is free, and they can answer about any question you have.

They can also tell you where to go on their web site to answer your questions...
http://www.msdignition.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

H8-

the part numbers are the same as in the MSD catalog. in both the MSD 6 offroad is #6470. partsamerica. com lists it for $224.99 and the MSD catalog has a list price of $495.40. i'm kinda still a little confused about which harness to use or else i would be of more help.

frank

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:39 AM

The module will come with all the wiring required to connect it to your vehicle.
No extra wiring needed.
The Off Road Module has water proof connectors, and both halves will be supplied, along with detailed instructions of how to install it on most all vehicles.
MSD is very through with their hardware....
It's still a good idea to throw a quarter in the phone, or send an email to the MSD tech line.
Tech line 915-855-7123, tech information is free, and they are pretty good at what they do.
Web site is http://www.msdignition.com
Tech email is [email protected]
Take advantage of it!! It's free!!
If you go to the web site, sign up for a free catalog. The new 2000 catalog is a real piece of work!!
-----------------------------------

Sometimes it's easier to get some extra adaptors to connect, instead of splicing into you existing wiring. I didn't see any for your vehicle.

Don't worry about the list price....
Summit, Jegs, PAW all have the same module for about $250, so you are still getting a good deal.
You might want to think about getting a good distributor cap and a good rotor, and maybe even some MSD 8.5 MM plug wires while you can order the stuff at a discount....

The stuff is expensive, but MSD is one of the few places that you get the very best for your money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode