Kind of OT, But Safety Related? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Kind of OT, But Safety Related?

I have a problem with headlights and snow. On all the newer vehicles I have driven in the past 15-20 years, the headlights collect snow and making driving in a snow storm impossible. The built up snow acts like the lights are on high beam, causing unbelievable glare. Last night I was caught in a good storm and had to stop and scrape my headlights every 4-5 miles so that I could see. I don't know if this is a design flaw with the new headlight systems, or just that the halogen lamps don't put out enough heat to melt the snow. All I know is that driving in a snowstorm is now a life threatening experience. I never had this problem with the old sealed beam incandescent lights. I have tried rainX on the lamps to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions or proven solutions where I can keep the benefit of my halogen lights, & still see when I need to drive in a snowstorm.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jfralph

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Kind of OT, But Safety Related?

....move somewhere warm for the winter!! Just a smarta$$ remark from a fellow Montanan.

Have a great day!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 01:54 PM
Way Outta Control

Mid to late 80's Mitubishi Monteros and Dodge Raiders have small headlight sqirters on them. Wne you want to clean the headlights... just press a button. I've thought about adapting a pair to my CJ7 full of winshield washer fluid that does not freeze.

How about using aftermarket defrost wiring applied to the inside of the headlight lense?

It may work for your vehicle.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 02:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yeah, I have noticed that on our '97 Grand Cherokee, even here in sunny california where the lowest I have ever seen it go is +7 F. There are several bulb-type aftermarket front lamps....up to 7" in diameter....that you can buy for snow-going. I was thinking of putting some on our CJ as extra deer see-ers and driving lamps just to give it that "Perfesser Peabody" look.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
They are in JC Whitney's catalog.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 02:27 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Hella Vision Plus headlights. Well worth the $45 each for them. They're a lot brighter than the standard headlights, and they'll burn off the snow. I've found the Rain-X helps them as well. We've had ours in the TJ for over 3 years now, one got cracked 2 years ago, still works fine. I highly recommend them.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

How about a solution for vehicles that replace just the bulb. Our Car for example the glass portion is $270. I don't believe Hella makes something for this application. They might for my truck.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might set up an old set of sealed beam icandesant lights on the bumper and use them in snow storms instead of your present head lights.Build yourself a housing for them or get the housing off of a old car or truck so that it doesn't look bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode