1964 Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:01 AM
mudmonger

1964 Jeep?

Hello Jeep people. I have wandered away from the Ford board once again. This time it is because I am tired of being stuck in the trees on trails and getting 6 mpg on the road in my 89 F-150. I have an opportunity to buy a 1964 Jeep. I don't know anything about old jeeps. All I know about this one is that it has had a lot of the old drive train rebuilt and has a Ford four cylinder in it-don't know why. The body had been gone through and repainted but the floors are a little rough. It does have a new soft top as well. The motor and most of the drive train have less than 1000 miles on it. Does this sound like it is worth $3500? I have no idea what kind of axles, t-case or manual tranny this would have or even what it is (CJ-5, CJ-7, or ?). Any help in this would be appreciated. This little jeep defenitely looks like a good way to get into the wonderful world of usable turning radius. Thanks to all who bother with this. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 1964 Jeep?

Hi mudmonger, Well the Jeep you are looking at could be a CJ-5 or a CJ-3B, the CJ-7's only ran from '76-'86. I think the 3B's were made untill '66, and the CJ-5's (M38A1's) started in the mid to late (?) 50's. I'm no expert on Jeep timelines, but this is what I think. The Ford 4 cyl was a popular swap for the flattie motors, but I couldn't tell you if they were standard in any Jeep's.
$3500 sounds a little steep for something with "Rough" floors (it's ALWAYS about 5 times worse than what you can see) but rough here in Minnesota means there is just enough left of the floor for the body mounts and seat mounts to hold you in.
If it's not really structurally rusty (beware of fresh paint!) then the price probably isn't too bad, especially if it is a CJ-3B!
I hope someone else posts that can shine a little more light on the tech stuff. Good luck!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:54 AM

The front axle is a Dana 25. The rear is 19-spline D-44. The x-case is the Dana-18 with the Large interidiate shaft (good thing) Check to see if they swapped in an all-Ford drivetrain or just the engine. Axle gears available were 4.27, 4.88, and 5.38. However, I don't belive factory 5.38 gears are available for the D-44, so it will most likely have the one of the first two. The transmission (if stock) is a T-90 3speed or T-98 4-speed, and the T-98 has a great 6.4:1 first gear. The stock engine was the F-134 "Hurricane" Four-Cylinder F-head....

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 12:32 PM

On a '64, brakes are weak and steering is dangerous, if original. But that is standard fare for any CJ prior to 1972. Steering is fairly easily ugraded to a Saginaw unit, using later CJ parts. Brakes are just as easily upgraded to 11" drums. Front disc is an optional swap, too. If the ford engine, probably a Pinto engine, is in good shape, it will perform well in this CJ. An easy swap for more power is a Buick V6 of the 225 or 231 type. These are nearly bolt in, as the 225 was a factory engine beginning in 1966.
This CJ will probably serve you well on mild woods trails, but mods will be needed to run any tires over 31", or for mud/rocks.
$3500 for the condition you describe is too much in my opinion.You need to do more shopping. Look for a '72 to '75 CJ5. This will have an open knuckle Dana 30 front with 11" drums or possibly disc, a flanged Dana 44 rear, much stronger than the 44 in this 64.Gears will probably be 3.73. It will also have Saginaw factory steering,and possibly a factory V8. For $3500, you can find a nice one of these, that won't need as many mods just to make it roadworthy. Then you could lock and regear the axles to low to mid 4's, slap on a 2.5" lift, some mild shackles, an easy body lift, some 33" tires, and a Tera-Low kit for the model 20, and you'll go just about anywhere.
One rule of thumb I often recommend to people interested in buying their first Jeep: if you haven't researched Jeeps and the used Jeep market for 6 months, you're not ready to buy a pre-AMC Jeep. (No flame intended)
HTH
Let us know what you decide.

Lynn
'71/'48/'97
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds to me you are looking at a $1500 to $2500 Jeep. What about rust? Price would go down depending on amount.

Good Hunting
Kriss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:22 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I agree, you can find a lot up here for $3,500. Go to http://www.unclehenrys.com and look at that jeeps are going for up here. I also agree with the other posts about that era jeep as well.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 01:35 AM
mudmonger

Thanks a lot fot the input on this Jeep guys. Sounds to me like the asking price might be about $1000 too high compared to the other Jeeps near it's vintage and maybe this year isn't the best bet for a starter trail/road vehicle. Thanks again. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode