exhaust smell - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

exhaust smell

I can't go anywhere in my 83 CJ-7 without smelling like exhaust and gas. Is this a problem with all Jeeps or just mine. The cab is well sealed, but the glasspacks are rotted out. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: exhaust smell

uhm lets narrow down a few things.. Glasspacks rotted out? Well that could lead to smelling the exhaust? Maybe? Just my thought.. good luck

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 01:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well, muddynut, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. I'm gonna recommend replacing those glasspacks and seeing if the smell dissapears....

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 06:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Make sure the exhaust exits out the sides (rear corners are best). A jeep's aerodynamics (HA HA) creates a vacuum in the cab. The air rushing under the body or over the top of the windshield wants to jump into the cab, bringing the exhaust smell with it.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 07:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn! That vacuum in the cab tidbit is interesting. I've always wondered why and from where those breezes are rushing in. Not only does it stink in my heep, but it's damn near impossible to keep it heated in the winter with all that cold air rushing in the holes in the floorboard. Thanks, DEEP.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well lets look at this from a logical eye. The cab is well sealed but you smell like gas AND exhaust when you get to where you are going. Not good.

First- Both the gas and the exhaust smell must be leaking into the cab area from somewhere, right? You must have a leak in the body. It may be up at the firewall at one of the factory holes. Check there, seal with silicone even if you don't think that it is the cause.

Second- You must have gas leaking from somewhere as well. Is it at the carb or the fuel filter or is the line cracked or is the fuel canister bad or not hooked up properly or?????. Follow the fuel system from the front to the back. A fuel leak someday could lead to a fire when you least expect it.

Third- The bad glasspacks may be the culprit but, do you have a cracked exhaust manifold? If the you have an air leak at the firewall, a cracked exhaust manifold is going to let fumes into the cab, same with a gas leak at the motor area.

Just Some Thoughts!
Kriss

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does your jeep run real rich? Mine does and I always smell like exhaust too. I can walk in the house and my wife says "ewww, you smell like exhaust!". My father in laws CJ-7 is even worse, his carb needs rebuilding. My jeep is odd. It runs rich when going slow, so around town it smells. On the highway it runs lean, no odors, but starts to heat up during summer. Does a catalytic converter help with the odors?

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode