What tires for the Midwest (mud, sand, dirt) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

What tires for the Midwest (mud, sand, dirt)

Hello everybody. I have a '95 YJ and am planning on putting some 31x10.5 or 11.5 tires on my stock steel wheels. I live in the midwest which is mainly mud but some rocks, sand and dirt. My jeep is my daily driver so it still needs to be drivable on the street. Some road noise is ok but too much that I can't hear my stero while it is going full blast and my jeep is going 60mph. I don't comute that far and in a year or 2 plan on going to 36" Super Swamper so I will probly won't put more that 15-20K on the tires.
What does everybody run?

Andy

'95 YJ, I-6, Auto, Open Diffs, Soney stero, 215/75R15 GoodYear At's, Completly Stock, Getting tow hooks, Have big plans, lock right, 6" toatal lift 36 swampers, D44's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What tires for the Midwest (mud, sand, dirt)

i run BFG all terrains on my CJ-7 in 31 x 10.5...they work really well for a weekend warrior jeep.

i recomend the BFG A/T KO's or if you want sometihng more agressive try things like pro-comp Mud terrians, of the new goodyear wrangler MT/R...

where in the midwest are you? im in illinois....

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300,
2000 TJ 4.0L, jamboree edition
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 01:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've had BFG All Terrains on three of my daily driver/snow/mud/pavement vehicles and I'll buy them again! If you only do some mild mudding they should serve you well. Little noise, great in snow, and even acceptable on the trail (can't have everything perfect!)
Deep mud definately needs a more agressive tire though.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 09:20 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Well, I live in Missouri & don't find any all-terrain tire acceptable. I'll take a little road noise over getting constantly stuck every time it rains (no rocks in my area). Even my tow vehicle has mud tires. My personal favorite is the Cooper STT

It's a little louder than the other option (BFG MT) but lasts a little longer, handles just as well, & is considerably cheaper. In a Jeep, you'll hear your top flapping much louder than your tires with these or anything similar. And the good news is that the STT is available in both 31X10.50 AND 31X11.50. There are certainly other good choices, but I just happen to like this one best.

One I do NOT like is the Uniroyal Laredo M/T. Too squirrelly on pavement for my taste (turn the wheel, wait a 1/2 second, then the truck turns. Kinda creepy).</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Never herd of the cooper I'll have to investigate!
Thanks,
Andy

'95 YJ, I-6, Auto, Open Diffs, Soney stero, 215/75R15 GoodYear At's, Completly Stock, Getting tow hooks, Have big plans, lock right, 6" toatal lift 36 swampers, D44's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are the largest tires I could run with my stock white steel wheels? I currently have 31X10.5
Thanks

Jedidiah Smith
1980 Jeep CJ-7 I-6, 258 stock for now
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:14 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, I've seen 32x11.5 BFG's mounted on a 5.5" wide Zuki rim. Don't recommend that. I've also heard of 33x12.5's mounted on a 6" wide rim, don't recommend that either.

For a 6" wide rim, I'd mount 10.5's at the largest. For a 7" rim, I'd go with a 11.5" wide tire, and for the 8" rim I'd go 12.5" wide tire. This is all for riding on the street. I plan on taking the 33's off my 8" rims and putting them on the 7" rims, but they're just for wheeling. For your 7" wide rims, I'd go 11.5 at the widest, but 10.5's will work a lot better.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode