looking for a jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

looking for a jeep

I am looking into buying a jeep in the near future. It will be my daily driver for 1-2 years, then I will get something else to drive but still keep the jeep. First off I need to get one with A/C. Another main concern is gas mileage. Most of the ones around here with A/C are the 6 cyl, which I want if the mileage isnt to bad. What kind of mileage do you guys with the 87-90 carbed 6 cyl get. I won't put anything bigger than 31's til I get something else to drive all the time. Are these year model jeeps reliable? I really can't afford to drive something that gets worse than 16-17 mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 01:35 AM

Re: looking for a jeep

Well, where do I start. I have a 88 yj with the 4.2 liter I-6 (carbed) and it gets about 22 mpgs on the the highway,which isn't that bad. Now about reliability, it isn't fuel injected(didn't happen untill 91 I believe) so you get the usuall problems that come with a carberated engine, sometimes it will idle bad, sometimes good, you know. The only other major reliability issue is the manual tranny. From 87 to 90 or 91 they used the most worththless piece of @#$% tranny they could find. They only used it for three years and then discontinued it. It was only used in the 4.2 liter straight six. It is a five-speed manual called the Puegot. If you are looking for a jeep with a five speed in those years MAKE SURE THE TRANNY IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER cause it cost big$$$$$ to rebuild it. If you have the cash I would suggest going to a 91 Yj or newer. The advantages are;
-the 4.0 liter I-6 (fuel injected) has the 4.2 liter I-6 (carb) by about 80 hp and will get a little better gas milage.
-it has an actuall tranny that doesn't disinegrate from just driving it on the highway.

Hope this helps.

I need to get a girlfriend I'm getting to close to my jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 09:30 AM

I've got an '89 YJ and the tranny was rebuilt before I bought it at around only 80k miles on on-road driving. I've got 96k miles on the Jeep now and the tranny is busted. The 4.2 in Wranglers is choked with emissions BS and a crappy carb. Definatley go with a '91 or newer Jeep! You'll get a much better engine and tranny [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:43 AM
89yjsahara

Ive got an 89 yj,and my best ever mpg was 16.. on the highway going to mexico. as far as trannies go.. Ive got the puegot in mine, and after 157,000 miles it still works fine.. and I wheel a lot.. with no problems.. my carb works fine as well. and niether the engine, carb nor tranny have been rebuilt. I personally like the 4.2 carbed 6 cyl just becuase of the lower torque.. but thats just me
Scott

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 5" of lift, soon to have 33x10.50 BFG AT KO's my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:59 AM

My 88YJ 4.2, Auto,no A/C, has made as much as 14mpg hwy.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 88 YJ for sale if you are interested. It will get 15 mpg on the highway. It has the 258 and 5 speed. It is the puegot, but I haven't really had a problem with it, and the Jeep has 115,000 on it. I put synthetic in the trans and that really helped. asking $5500 for the Jeep
Dan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

90 YJ 258, 5spd, 225/75R15, K&N and Borla catback - 13.5 city mpg and 17.5 highway mpg.

jerry

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your budget will allow, get a fuel injected Wrangler (YJ). The plumbing for pollution control on a 1988 and 1989 YJ is a nightmare. If its going to be a daily driver for awhile, you will be happy with the sporty feel of the YJ. When you get your other car to drive, you can build it into a worthy trail rig. Lots of parts and lots of options.

I get 17 mpg on my 1994 fuel injected 2.5 (4 cylinder) Wrangler with 31" tires. The 2.5s have a lower axel ratio to compensate for the smaller motor. 17 mpg looks pretty good to me when you consider that my CJ5 is so low geared that I think it gets about 8 mpg and my Ford Crew Cab gets 9 mpg.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 11:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Damn, you guys are getting MILES to the gallon?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I have to measure mine in feet these days. Got the 4.2 with the Crapper BBD carb and the spaghetti bowl of emissions hoses under the hood of an 88 YJ.
BTW, the engine is still whistling like a tea kettle and idling like sh|t.
Goes away when it sits for 5 min, go figure.
Go with a 4.0, you'll be a lot happier, especially as a daily driver.

Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:07 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Vacuum hose? When it sits the warm air from the engine softens it up and seals the leak temporarily.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode