notching TH 350 pan? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

notching TH 350 pan?

I installed a turbo 350 tranny along with the 350 engine in my 83 CJ. It has the dana 300 transfer case. The problem I am having is that the front driveshaft will hit the trans pan on full suspension compression. I was thinking that I would notch the pan on that side. It doesn't need much cut out, maybe a half an inch. The pan is cast aluminum made by TCI. Has anyone dealt with this before? And can I even properly cut and weld the cast aluminum? And if so what type of welding, mig? tig?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: notching TH 350 pan?

I knew a kid who had made a custom oil pan in high school shop.I don't know if the same practice would work in your situation or not.He took an existing pan and cut off all but about an inch and the mounting flange,he then fabbed a custom pan section and wire welded it back on,got something like 2 more qts capacity and cleared whatever it was he was trying to clear.Shouldn't be a problem trying to scare up a steel pan at a bone yard.Let us know what you do to fix your concern!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It shouldn't be any problem to do as you have said. I am running the same drivetrain/same vehicle as you. I re-formed the stock stamped-steel pan to do the same thing. Cast aluminum parts are usually (if usa) 356 aluminum, and can be welded. You will need someone with heli-arc (tig) capability, and aluminum experience. I would suggest finding the welder first, and talk to him about what you want to do. He will probably suggest you go ahead and remove the pan, and get it REALLY clean. Oil in the pores of the metal will drive him nuts when trying to weld. He might suggest cleaning it real good with solvent (maybe even acetone and alcohol), and pre-baking it in the wifes oven. 400 degrees for an hour or so, would out-gas a bunch of stuff that would drive the welder nuts. For the new material, to weld in and form the new shape, he might suggest 6061, maybe 3/16, or 1/4-inch thick. With aluminum, it is usually advisable to 'v' the weld joint, so the welder has room for a substantial bead. Use a die-grinder to 'v' all of the weld joints.

bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 01:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That post by BBKNS says it all....... That pan could be a 356 with a heat-treat maybe to T5 or so.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ah, yes.....pans can sometimes be in the way. I have actually seen early Ford roadsters whith a Chrysler in them which had a tunnel crosswise through the pan for the tie rod to go through. Heh heh[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. That was pretty extreme. We used to have an old engine block (Chrysler of course) sitting in the corner of the shop that we would use to bolt the remnants of an oil pan onto while we gas welded a completely different bottom end onto the pan. It may be adviseable for you to hunt down a 350 "core" that you can use in this same manner to reduce the chance of the part growing, and then shrinking in all the wrong directions while it is being welded and afterwards.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the help guys, The good news is that it is a brand new pan so there's no oil on it. I thought tig would be the way to go, now I just need to find someone to do it for me. I was also worried about warping the pan due to the heat of welding/cutting. I might try and find a 350 core to bolt the pan to, but what about something else, like say just screwing the pan down to the workbench? If I were careful and torqued it down evenly it seems like it would do the job too. What do you guys think? I just don't want to destroy my brand new pan.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode