OT- why can't anyone assemble a vehicle properly? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT- why can\'t anyone assemble a vehicle properly?

So I had to put a new front axle u-joint in my 95 F150...and I'm left wondering why no one can assemble a vehicle decently. The truck has 65,000mi on it, and is 5 years old. It took nearly 2 hours to get the spindle off. Oil...oil...tap tap...chisel chisel...heat heat...oil oil...Grrrr. Then I got to the u-joint. It had failed spectacularly...the u-joint caps have moon clips that retain them on the inside of the yoke...the portion of the cap that fits in the bore of the yoke was intact...the outer portion of the cap (the flat part that you see from the outside) had been blown off. There was no way to remove the joint...so out came the blue wrench. We had to cut the cross of the joint, remove the joint, and then very gingerly cut the cap where it fit in the bore (with a hacksaw blade, not the torch)and then push out the remainder of the cap. Now, had Ford spent an extra, what, $.25 including parts and labor when they assembled the truck, taking the time to put a dab of never seize behind the spindle and a bit o' grease in the yoke, it would have made my life so much easier. Don't even get me started about working on my dad's chevy...or the jeep for that matter. It seems so simple. Why can't anyone do it? And for that matter, I'm always amazed when people work on their vehicles, doing something like replacing a u-joint, and they struggle along with rust in the yoke, not bothering to clean it with emery paper and grease it a bit. The next time, it will be a struggle again. At least I only have to fight parts on my vehicles one time. Just wanted to rant a bit. Has anyone ever seen a vehicle that was never-seized/greased/lubricated properly from the factory? Anyone ever seen any really thoughtful touches from the engineers/assemblers?

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 08:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT- why can\'t anyone assemble a vehicle properly?

yep see it every day.. without all those smart a$$ engineers.. there would be nothing for us techs to unf*@k... and we need to make a living somehow.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

Bean counters---that's why we don't have the little things that make our work easier. Tranny drain plugs, converter drain plugs, gas tank drain plugs---costs a few pennies to install. How much oil dry to clean up? Oh! How about those plug in ford alternators? Make it faster, cheaper and more profitable. For whom?

CJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Guys--
I think the point that you're missing here is just this:
When Ford, or any other manufacturer sends a new vehicle out its factory doors, they have one goal for it in mind--and that is to please the ORIGINAL PURCHASER of the vehicle. Lets face it...some poeple will never own new cars, and some of us just HAVE to have new cars and trucks. When that vehicle left ford, it was designed to please its original owner. The bean counters figure that the "AVERAGE" person only keeps their vehicle 3 years or roughly 36,000 miles. Jeep people, are, of coures ABOVE AVERAGE. (wink) But had the vehicles original owner sold it after it was 3 years old, or turned it in as a lease as many people are doing these days, he would have been satisfied, becuase he never had to mess with the frozen spindle. Therefore, everything else status quo, he would probably purchase another new ford, being happy with his first. Many people are like this, and the bean counters know it, and quite frankly, the executives at a major auto manufacturer dont care about the second or third or subsequent owners...they probably arent the people looking to buy new vehicles, and the manufacturer didnt get any money from them, so if they save a dollar here and there, and keep the original owner happy, then they have "done their job." At least from THEIR perspective.

just my 2 cents
mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
Big Mud Tires are from the Earth....they were put here for you...and for me...take advantage!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 07:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Dear Farmjeep: Having spent more than 20 years in the water supply equipment business doing repairs on heavy pumps, it would be UNTHINKABLE for me to put up something that was not protected with my own brand of never-sieze. Since about 1972, I have used neversieze that I make myself. The cost is incredibly low, and the product has all of the features that are essential to it's successful prevention of corrosion and siezing. What we did (and still do) is occasionally aske folks if they have any old cans of paint sitting around. YEAH!!! would be the reply and we would have several gallon cans from his garage that were old as the hills. Then we would open the cans and find that the paint had separated into the PIGMENT, and the VEHICLE. We would pour off the vehicle in an environmentally-safe manner, and that left a thick layer of pigment; often LEAD-BASED pigment; in the bottom of the can. By mixing a cartridge or two of GP grease, and 10W hydraulic oil with the pigment and using a homemade stirrer on a drill, we could get everything pretty well mixed such that when we got a big brushfull, it moved easy but never dripped or ran off. The lead provided a good lube for the big 10" and 12" pipe threads that we spun in with a 40' endless rope off a capstan head. As fast as we spun that pipe, and as much side-pressure we put on it, we needed a good, substantial lube in the coupling. The paint kept the water out and made it easy for us to unscrew the threads when overhaul time came around. We used this stuff on everything you can imagine, from the big pipe threads to small bolts and gasket surfaces. I COULD NOT BUY a product as good no matter where I looked, and this was dirt cheap to make. So get out there and locate some old cans of paint!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode