RE 4.5" lift kit or custom pieced lift kit? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

RE 4.5\" lift kit or custom pieced lift kit?

Okay, for a while I've decided I'm gonna drop in Rubicon Express' Extreme Duty 4.5" lift kit. But I've recently thought about putting a lift kit together out of different components from different manufaturers. I haven't a clue how I'd go about putting one together. First off, where would I get the leaf springs? I've heard of National Leaf springs, but who are they? Also, do I have the leafs custom made, and if so, how do I know what lengths? Thanks!

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: RE 4.5\" lift kit or custom pieced lift kit?

National springs are expensive. Very good, but expensive. About $250 each spring, thats $1000 for springs alone. They flex like mad, ride like a dream, and did I mention they are expensive. I thought about going this route, but didn't. You will have to have the weight of your jeep, kinda hard when you are still doing mods. 25 lb. here and there can really add up, and make their calculated spring rates droop. They use thin tapered springs with full length teflon pads. Where a normal leaf spring pack is 5-6 leafs, a national pack can be 10-12. They are so thick that they take up lots of ground clearnace, if left spring under. Take a look at Sam Pattons(of Sams Offroad, on internet and in the most recient Top Truck Challenge) CJ, he runs Nationals. That is one bad CJ.

Some have mentioned Alcan springs, but I have yet to find anyone who has actually used these. I also counldn't find a phone # or web address. They are supposed to be 1/2 the price as Nationals. Have nothing to report as of the quality.

Here is a great kit:
1)RE 4.5" Extreme duty springs(if you plan on a V8 get the rears for the front, thats 4 rears, they have a higher spring rate and is what I have)
2)longer u bolts(about 1/2" longer than stock) and those ubolt skid plates, or you could get a ubolt reveral kit(off-road unlimited sells them I think)
3)shackles(boomerang, Tera revolver, the choice is yours), make sure to get new poly bushings and bolts with greasable zerk fittings
4)extended bumpstops(find the cheapest ones possible)
5)extended stainless steel braided brake lines
6)shocks(go rancho RS 9000, I would extend both the front and rear mounts at this time and order only once, extended mounts were covered in the recent past)
7)drop pitman arm(I would go with the cheapest I could find here, b/c I have never heard of one breaking)
8)some form of driveline adjustment(either some spacers frome Lowe's and longer bolts for the transfer case skid plate or a SYE. Tom Woods probably has the cheapest, and I think he makes one of the more expensive mods as well. This envolves a new forged output)

If you go this route there will be more items to purchace along the way. The best route to get the correct length shock takes the longest down time, but will pay off in flexability and susp. travel. Lift the vechicle. Install extended shock mounts. Then measure and order.

By the way national springs are expensive.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, etc. etc. etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

do what the above guy said but....

nationals aren't all that expensive, i think they go for $750 or less, give them a call at 619-441-1901. i think they are worth it

dynatrac makes a ubolt flip kit(kinda like the dodge springplates with custom ubolts)

and lastly definately SYE and driveshaft, i recomend tomwoods

mike h
suffering from lackofjeepitis[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

what about TeraFlex's SYE? I like their's cause it's compadable with their teralow kit for the 231...

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 06:42 AM

Here you go....
http://www.alcanspring.com/
I know of at least one person who just got some alcan springs. I will ask him how he likes them.

'79 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 07:22 AM

Don't a bunch of the Jeepster Commando guys use Alcan Springs? I know they were all getting together to do a group order of lift springs to get a group discount on them a while ago...

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have Tom Wood's drive shaft in the front of my Jeep and I WILL have one in the rear when I go for my 4" of SOA lift. Good guy. Good service. Fast service. Good price. Great product. Yes I am pleased with that purchase. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete <font color=yellow>83CJ7</font color=yellow>, <font color=blue>96YZ250</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I priced 4" springs front and rear for my '90 YJ the guy at National quoted me $250 each spring. No package deals, no cupons. I also got the price for the custom built springs, not the ones that they makeup all at once that they advertise in mags. I almost choked, politly told him thank you and hung up. If you get a better deal, then good for you. This is only what I was quoted. And this included shipping. Make sure they inclued shipping, for springs it is expensive(heavy).

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, etc. etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode