1963 Willys Paint codes into modern colors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

1963 Willys Paint codes into modern colors

I have decided to paint my jeep the original colors when i get to that point. i am looking for Transport yellow and sierra blue. I have the CJ3B page, but i need to know what to mix to get these colors, or what the color will match.
Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:59 PM

Re: 1963 Willys Paint codes into modern colors

Dan, I can not help you with the amounts of each color to mix, but I know you can take the color down to Lowe's or Home Depot and they have a computer 'eye' that reads the color from the paper it is on and the computer will mix the color for you.
I don't know if they have any auto quality paint there, but I can almost bet you that an auto paint dealer can do the very same thing.
Hope this helps you out.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I will have to try and get a good printout of the color. i saved it and it was low quality. I printed it and it came out worse. i just saw a sweet willys with the yellow and i think that will be my color.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not sure I understand the question, but I will give a shot at answearing it. You said you want to use origanal colors. Most auto body paint supply shop have color chip books that go back to the 50's, well at least we dowhere I work. Pick the color you want, and the paint man will mix it for you, You can probably get it mix in anything, from old technology Laquer ( YUCK ), to the most modern basecoat/ clearcoat systems. We also have an item called "the paint prophet". It takes a picture of the paint, if you have a big enough sample, and give you a formula to mix. It work allright, but will not give a perfect match, good for overall finishing, or blending, but not good if you want to match one panel to another one. A big problem is finding an auto body supply that will help walk in customers, many will only deal with shops.

Thanks, Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 02:45 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Dan:

A good auto paint store can fix you up with what you want. I have a Martin Senour Paints chart for '61-'67 Willys Jeep. I've never heard of this brand before getting this chart, but with these #'s you should be able to get the right colors. The 1958-64 Transport Yellow is 32Y-7602 (Acrylic), 90T-3867 (Synthol). The 1962-64 Sierra Blue is 32Y-7742 (Acrylic), 90T-4098 (Synthol).

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks guys for the info. Right now i am cutting out the floorboards to reweld new ones in, and i will start planning the paint phase next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode