What do I use for my Trans Cooler hose? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:29 PM
Posts: n/a
What do I use for my Trans Cooler hose?

I am getting ready to get what I need to run the lines from the trans to the cooler which is built into the radiator. What kind of lines do i need? Can I use rubber lines or do I use copper? or what?

Its a TH400/ what size lines do I need also? Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
Sponsored Links
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:36 PM
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 524
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What do I use for my Trans Cooler hose?

Not sure which lines you are working on but my stock Th400 has steel hard lines attached to the trans and then tie into the cooler with flexible rubber lines. I could not find a replacement for on that leaked so I just put the fittings into a larger diameter piece of rubber transmission line and secured them with hose clamps. It has worked for the last 2 years. Not sure if this answers your question but I tried.

fratt77CJ7 is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:48 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: What do I use for my Trans Cooler hose?

Generaly, cooler lines are 3/8" brake lines with inverted flare fittings. If you need to have hoses they shoud be rated for at least 150 PSI.

good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 06:43 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: What do I use for my Trans Cooler hose?

Dont use fuel line or vaccum hose.oils tend to soften rubber lines.Most any decent parts store can help you out.If connecting to steel lines,dont forget to flare the end,and double clamp.

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:22 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: What do I use for my Trans Cooler hose?

Gates has some hose. It is called lock-on hydraulic hose, rated for 300 PSI. The neat thing about it is you don't use hose clamps, just a special hose end that you push in. the only way that end will come off is if you cut it off. My recomendation is steel brake line, just like most of OEM does.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome