How bout a ford 390? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How bout a ford 390?

Just kinda daydreaming, but have we have a '72 Ford truck with a 390 & T18 attached to it. Any chance in H&LL of fitting it in an '85 CJ7?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How bout a ford 390?

It would fit, but to what benefit? The tranny is a good one, and the engine is plenty solid, but very heavy. The front suspension and axle would be heavily stressed to carry it around. Find a 302 or 351W and matching B/H and use them with that T-18. You'd have a much more well balanced package when you're done.

My $.02

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:42 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

look closely at the screen!! YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY. VEEEEERY SLEEPY. WHEN YOU WAKE, YOU'LL WANT TO GIVE THAT TRANNY AWAAAAAAY. YOU'LL WANT TO GIVE IT TO SOMEBODY WITH A SMALL BLOCK FORD ENGINE IN A CJ!!!! YOU WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET HIM THIS TRANNY.

.......aaaaaa what the heck. Go ahead and give him the whole truck.

Drew
(holding out his tin cup)

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen quiet a few 360 and 401 powered cj's that seem to make it with the added weight just fine as long as you watch the right foot action.

84 cj7 Laredo Superior 1 piece, more to come.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why on earth does someone need an engine that big in a rig so small? What possible benefit is there? Didnt the rockcrawling champ have a 4 banger or something like that? Not being a wiseass just curious

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Wellllllll......
As I stated earlier, it is daydreaming, but the truck is a '72 Ford 250 2WD. It is my husbands & he had the engine rebuilt with some performance parts some time ago. (it was his first vehicle) Unfortunetly, shortly after it was redone & running great, the truck got into a low speed shoving match with another truck at an intersection. The truck has been waiting patiently to get its body redonet, but our interest in Jeeps has way outdone the interest in rebuilding the truck & it has been decided that we intend to part it out. So there was this past love affair with the 390 & hate to see it go to waste. So . . if that clarifys anything. My question was that of weather or not it is possible to put it in a jeep, that is the first step. Plus it specifically came to mind when someone asked about a Ford 360 earlier. Thanks for the input. May just end up using the T-18 & call it a day (the jeep currently is an Auto 999 with 258 I6)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the 390 will fit in a CJ, the 390 was an option in the 67-69 ford mustangs, if you can fit an engine in an early mustang it will fit in a jeep. What problems will it cause? You will need front springs with much higher spring rates, go to a real auto parts store and have them look up the spring rates for a 1968 small block vs big block mustang. The 390 cast iron manifold weighs 110 pounds, aluminum less than 10 pounds. You can probably loose another 40-50 pounds by dumping the exhaust manifolds in favor of some small tubed Tri-Wye headers ( the headers will not help very much, just help trim the fat). The ford oil sump is exactly where it should not be, in the front, you may need to have suspension lift to clear the axle.
To give you some background I have a 466 cubic inch big block ford in a 1971 AMC AMX, so I have some experience with the ford/amc swap. Would I put a 390 in a jeep? Jseries/Wagoneer absolutely, CJ-8 yes, CJ-7/TJ maybe, CJ-5 never.
What would be my first choice for a short wheel base jeep?
4.3 V6, buick V6, 4.0/4.2 AMC six.

good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode