"Swivel Shackles" (pictures!) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

\"Swivel Shackles\" (pictures!)

I found these pictures on the Wild Willys website - looks like a great idea!

He says you can get the supplies at any farm equipment supply store for about $35

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:35 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: \"Swivel Shackles\" (pictures!)

Can you give us more info, like what they actually are?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:41 AM
Wrangler88

that does look pretty sweet, got anymore info on it,

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

No info was given, but if you take the pics into the supply store I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction. Looks like a Heim Joint with a Bolt through it to me...dunno how he keeps the shackle from sliding around side to side, so I E-mailed him about it today and am awainting a response.... Any farmers on this board that can help us out here?

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The local tractor supply here has them.They are weld-on 3point hook up pieces.They are very similar to a heim joint.I used some to make my anti wrap bar on the jeep, and they work real good.From the looks of his shackles, it can slide side to side.It doesnt appear that it has any stops on it till it hits the shackle itself.I picked up the ones for my antiwrap bar for like $7.00 a piece.There were several different sizes...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 01:02 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Guys, I personally don't like this very much [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

First off, yes - these are fairly common weld on type rod ends found at any local tractor supply place (http://www.tractorsupplyco.com).

I don't like the single welded joint with no bracing. If anything, I would suggest at a minimum some bracing on the joint hanger at the frame - one good side load and it looks like that thing will just snap right off.

Also, these joints are rather low quality and sloppy right out of the box (pick one up and see for yourself), and although they often work great for traction bar setups, IMHO they are way too loose ans sloppy for a critical suspension joint.

I would prefer the joint to be attached to the shackle, and the tabs for the bolt welded to the frame. That lets me build a new shackle if that one wears out, where he will have to cut and re-weld to the frame every time his wear out of break...

Just my thoughts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

upon closer inspection of the picture it appears there are bushings between the joint and shackle that keep side-side movement from happening. What if these joints were welded to a bolt-on bracket? Then when they wear out they can be unbolted and replaced. I do recognize them as being a 3-point hitch attachment now.... Check out the guy's website (Click on that chevy/willys symbol in the original post) and you will see that he abuses this Jeep quite regularly, and more than some of us do!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Here is an E-mail I recieved from WildWillys:

As far as side load goes I have had no problems, They have been used rockcrawling, mudracing and tough trucking and if you check out my website you will see some rollover pictures on there. These were on the jeep at that time...you can see the damage done to my jeep and the shackles came through fine...I have had this thing twisted in every possible way with no problems. Yes, they are replacement 3-point arm ends that you can buy at your local tractor supply store. They are not sloppy at all and as far as wearing out I drilled holes on each side of the mount and put grease zerks in to keep them lubricated. And the main thing is they do not cost a fortune!!!

Here is a link to the pictures of the roll-over he was typing about- It seems to be at the end of a mud drag or tough-truck run at fairly high speeds!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 05:17 PM

I met this guy and his wife 2 years ago at the Memorial Day '99 event at Dresser, Wisconsin. They were taking no prisoners with the Willys, and he had this setup on at the time. I believe that Dresser was the trial run for the shackle setup, and it looked like it came thru with flying colors. I have about 10 pictures of him taking the really tough lines; one point he had one front tire over 6' off the ground with the other one fully stuffed in the fender. He didn't roll, but he said after that it was the closest he came without rolling. He was praising this shackle set up then, and it looks like it still works.

Ken

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well...Here I am!!! I'm the one who built the Swivel Mounts. I'ts cool to hear the opinions of other people on my idea good or bad. These things have worked great for me and are very sturdy. I came from a farming background and have seen these joints in action pulling cultivators, plows and etc. down the feild under tremendous load and have never seen one break. The particular joints I used are not sloppy at all and lets face it...there is a lot of wore out spring bushings out there that will give more movement than these ever will. They are welded into to notch cut into a 1/2" thick peice of angle iron which by the way is bolted to frame with a 6 grade 8 bolts and the frame is doubled for extra strength. They can be replaced with ease and very little cost. I have twisted this jeep in every possible direction, caught lots of air on tough truck coarses and even took two tumbles last year with no damage to the mounts. If anyone is thinking about doing something like this or any suspension modifications make sure it's done properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode