Push rod & rocker arm separated - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Push rod & rocker arm separated

All last week, I was tracing a terrible miss in my 258. New plugs, new wires, cap, & rotor (TR upgrade). Timing perfect. Everything was great, but #4 cylinder wouldn't bang. Valve has to be the problem, but I had 120 lbs. on the cylinder (18 years old and 80K miles!). When I took the valve cover off, there was the #4 intake pushrod just sitting in it's hole and not pushing against anything. It had detached from the rocker arm. No signs of wear or damage, just didn't like where it was and decided to move. What would cause this to happen? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 07:42 PM

Re: Push rod & rocker arm separated

The exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago, do a search and you'll find the whole thread.
The general consensus is that either a sticky lifter or a weak lifter spring will allow this to happen. In my case, I just reassembled, and did 3 oil changes with hi-detergent oil in about 500 miles. It has run fine since, but just in case I started rebuilding a spare engine!
Bob in MA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode