Rebuild old Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rebuild old Jeep

I was looking to buy a new Jeep Wrangler last month, but could not justify the cost. When looking at used Wranglers, they were still more than I was willing to spend. This is where my question comes in. My neighbor had purchased an older model Wrangler (late 80's I would guess) but it needed more work than he and his son had time. It has a bent frame, no brakes, and various other ailments. Is there anyone out there who rebuilds old jeeps? I am looking to spend about $5,000 to fix this car up to be used mainly on-road with some very beginner off-road use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rebuild old Jeep

I have an 88 wrangler for sale that doesn't need that kind of work. $5500 if interested.
Dan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:55 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Welcome to the BBS, please fill out your profile as best you can, it helps us in answering questions.

Now, a bent frame is not good, neither is no brakes, but they're easy. The real problem, in my mind, is the later 80's YJ's (square headlight Wranglers are known as YJ's). They had a 5 speed transmission that was the worst one ever put in a jeep, they're expensive to rebuild and don't hold up well under any power, even stock. For more info on short jeeps in general, go to:http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/specgrid.htm and click on any item there, it'll tell you more about it. To find the year of any jeep, go to http://specialtyparts.com/vins/vehilceid.htm.

If the frame is bent I'd look into other potential problems as well, like bent axles. If you can give us a little more info on it, along with a price, we could more accurately let you know if it's a good deal or one to stay away from.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, we're here to help in any way we can.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I personally would steer clear of this jeep an shop around more you can find a pretty good useable jeep for $5,000.There could be even more wrong with this jeep that you don't know about because you can't test drive this one with no brakes.Look right here on the for sale all others board and you may find something.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 12:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I found these locally, but they're in Maine. Gives you a good idea of what's out there though.

<font color=blue>1987 Jeep Wrangler hard top, big wheels, chrome, runs good. Asking $2,500 Clinton, ME

1990 Jeep Wrangler Off frame restoration, new paint, 258/6 5spd, 3 lift, new 33 tires, new chrome wheels, hard & bikini tops, tinted windows. $5,000. Madison, ME

1989 Jeep Wrangler 6cyl, hard top, full doors & 1/2 doors, ac & tilt wheel, new motor, factory alum. rims $3,500 obo. Bangor, ME

1987 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl. auto hardtop new balljoints tilt steering, good tires, call after 5 pm $3,700. Gray,

1990 Jeep Wrangler Hard top white, gray top, bikinii top, new tires $5,000 obo. Bangor, ME

1984 Jeep CJ7 4spd good cond. no rust. Has hard top and bikini, 3sets of doors, new exhaust and Ujoints 110,000 miles. Runs good $3,200. Biddeford Pool, ME

1985 Jeep CJ7, new: gas tank, brakes, rotors, water pump, 2 hitch, steering shaft, nerf. 130k, chrome wheels, frame, drivetrain solid, body fair. Blue, blk int. soft bikini tops $2,600 bo. Sell. S Portland, ME </font color=blue>

I have the phone numbers if anyone is interested. Like I said, it gives you a good idea of what they're going for, at least up here.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode