Is it worth it ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it worth it ???

I am thinking about buying a 77 CJ-7 but need some advice from some more experienced jeep gurus first. I took some pics of the jeep and posted them along with the details of the jeep at http://www.thoughtbox.net/toys/77cj.asp . If you could take a look and let me know what you think it would help me out a lot. I am itching to buy, but am not sure of what to make of the engine problems. Take a look and let me know...

Thanks,
jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 12:28 AM
jeeper131

Re: Is it worth it ???

maybe I'm not seeing it right, but it looks like the coolant hose coming off the gooseneck is simply not connected to anything. On mine it runs to a fitting on the front of the intake manifold, but in the picture it just looks like it is bent around the top of the gooseneck. I don't know how this would affect the engine, but it ws something I noticed

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much are they asking? Also, check the frame out around the rear spring hangers for rust holes, if it's got em than you might want to reconsider. Surface rust isn't a big deal, but holes mean it's weak and probably not worth your trouble.

Steve
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=red>J</font color=red>ust <font color=red>E</font color=red>mpty <font color=red>E</font color=red>very <font color=red>P</font color=red>ocket[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am jealeous...an original Jeep radio...AM AND FM. Whatever the price, it has got to be worth it.

Just kidding, from the pictures looks o.k. I would agree with the other posts - look for major rust and poke around a good bit.

It depends on the price and just how much money you are willing to part with during the time that you are the owner.

GOOD LUCK ! ! ! Nothing like owning a Jeep!

O|||||O
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 07:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forgot to ask..............two questions............

Is that a nickle on the rusted floorboard?
If so, did you pick it up?

O|||||O
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 08:00 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Price is definitely a factor. The M20 going in and out of 4WD hard is kinda normal, sometimes you have to move the jeep a little while trying to shift at the same time. A Scout II I have does this. Every jeep is a little different.

Don't look at mileage too much with a vehicle this old, it means nothing. We once owned (back in late '95) a 1988 VW Cabriolet with 30K on it. WOW, we thought, only 30K, it still has a lot of life left. What a piece of junk. It had been out on an island it's whole life so everything was corroded and quirky. Finally sold it outright (gal who bought it was hooked on them and didn't mind us being so honest about the problems) and bought the TJ, much better investment.

The engine sounds like timing, which is an easy fix. But then again it could be the carb. Have a mechanic look at it, some are willing to travel if they know it'll bring in a little extra $$$ by them getting the work, of course, the shady ones will make work for themselves, so when you get one you trust, stick with them.

Overall it looks like a nice jeep, post back what the asking price is and we'll be able to make a better determination.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! The guy is asking a Flexible $3800. I know I don't want to pay that much for it, but am not sure what is a fair price for something that needs the work that this one might. To make it a daily driver it may need a bit more than I planned, and not being a true gearhead yet, it may be better for me to look at a newer model or one in a little more restored condition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode