what the he!! is wrong?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what the he!! is wrong??

i own a 1979 CJ7, 258, I-6. i recently noticed that my CJ has lost a considerable amount of power. i added 33" tires and a lift last summer and everything(engine) seemed to run with enough power w/out gearing. Lately(past month or so) i have noticed a loss of power. the other day i went to start up the jeep and it was a hard-start. the jeep would start but it ran awfully rough and it seemed to have problems getting fuel to burn. i drove it less than a mile with considerabvle shaking and i couldn't get it to drive faster than 10mph. a few hours later i tried it again. it seemed to run fine. however when i took it about 5 miles down the road it crapped out on a steep hill...i had to climb the hill in 1st gear where i normally would climb it in 3rd or 2nd. also, i could not drive the car faster than 45mph...if i attempted to accelerate faster the jeep would shake and it seemed to misfire and deccelerate. anybody have similar problems...or can anyone tell me what could be wrong with my CJ 258 I-6???thanx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what the he!! is wrong??

Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Replace your fuel filter and check your fuel pump for output and pressure. Any service manual will guide you on this test. If the output or pressure is low, check your supply lines and hoses for leaks. If you have a good supply of fuel to the carb, it may be in need of an overhaul(the jets may be plugged). Hope this helps, good luck!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 10:44 PM
FlMudCJ

I'll second the fuel supply hypothsis. Replace the fuel filter every 20,000 miles... or so, give or take... could also be fuel pump, or carb... g-luck.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Or the cat is plugged!
sln

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

These are probably a long shot, but easy to take care of. Have you checked for a fouled spark plug, or moisture under the distributor cap?

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 11:24 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Also sounds like a vacuum hose leak. Could be fuel, ignition or vacuum leak.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 12:31 PM
chasejeep7

Well, I think it is something to do with the carb. More specifically sounds maybe like the choke. Take out one of your spark plugs and see if there is any build-up that could be diagnosed. If there is change them out and find the problem. Is there any exhaust changes (i.e. black smoke?) Just a thought.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, i did notice a small amount of oil deposit on the spark plugs in the later cylinders, and a faint black smoke was apparent. Some plugs were really burnt out also...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode