still having ignition problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

still having ignition problems

ok.. the jeep is still not running.. and i am at my wits end..

the engine is a 1978 401 from a wagoneer.. has the stock distributor on it.. with new rotor and cap... new plugs and wires..

the coil is a Accel super coil.. with ballast resistor..

new ignition module.. new starter soleniod..

the motor turns.. but does not attempt to fire..

i have redone the wire harness complety.. i have also rewired it in every possible manner.. right now it is completly according to the haynes manual..

lt blue wire from ignition going to the S post... white wire from igniton mod goes to the lt blue wire.. to S post..

red wire from ignt. mod goes to the red wire from the igniton switch right before the resistor.. from the resistor it goes to the + side of coil..

I side of soleniod goes to the + side of coil..

dark green from ignt. mod goes to the neg side of coil..

i have voltage at both + and - side of coil.. the - side sort of flickers the light tester while being cranked over..

i have no spark out of the coil.. it reads 10 volts on my meter.. but it doesnt light up the light tester..

please.. help..

i have also wired this according to TeamRush's diagram.. and have the same results..

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 10:23 PM

Re: still having ignition problems

First off, Accel super coils are junk.
Take your coil, and module into the parts store, and have them tested.
Check your engine and module ground.

If they check out OK, suspect the distributor pickup.

Do the wiring harness I sent you, and try swapping the three primary hard parts until it works.
Module, Coil, and Distributor pick up.

It still sounds like you have the ignition coil dead grounded from the description of the wiring harness you are using.

The distributor pick up coil is the last part of the ignition that goes bad, but it's not unheard of.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 11:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: still having ignition problems

yes TR that is what i thought also.. the pickup would be the last to go.. and since it ran when i removed it.. well.. you know the whole assumption thing..
anyways.. i got some bad scoop from the parts guy.. i had taken in my ignt. mod before.. and he said it was bad.. gave me another.. well.. i took everything back to him tonight.. like you said.. and another dealt with me.. and i told him he was doing the test differntly from the other guy.. well the first guy tested it wrong.. he should me.. and the module tested good.. the coil tested good.. so.. that left one thing.. the pick up.. so i got a new one.. and put it in.. was easier than i thought it would be.. and now..
it RUNS!!!

thanks TeamRush..

i just didnt know how.. or if.. the distr. controlled the coil.. since i wasnt getting spark from the coil.. i was working backwards from there.. thought the distr. was in front of it.. so to speak.. like i said.. i dont know the inner workings of this..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode