304 engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 engine

I'm looking at an 81 cj with a 304 engine and 4 speed tranny. Is the 304 a good engine or should I look for a 258? The jeep will see mostly sand and dirt. Let me know what you think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 304 engine

I have had both. I prefer the 304. It works well for me in sand and mud. Some people say that V8 does not crawl as well as the straight six. May be so, but my Jeep is a daily driver, not an extreme rock crawler or off road machine. Different strokes for different folks. I like the V8.

Good luck. Turtle

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:46 PM
joeybcdt

The only reason I bought my CJ was because it had a 304 in it. I've had the 258. Twice. It's a good engine. I prefer a V8.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had Jeep 2.5s, a 258, a 4.0, and 304s as well as a Chevy 350. It all comes down to what you want to do with the Jeep. My CJ5 304 is a hard core trail rig and I am looking to upgrade the 304 to an AMC 401. Not because I want Tim "Toolman" Taylor power, but for the fact that I know that I will have all the power I could ever need for what I do. (Well, maybe just a hint extra for the "Toolmans" sake.) The point is that this is my play rig and when I punch it I want it to go! Thats my personal desire.

As the lockers and suspension on my CJ5 make it to twitchy to drive on pavement very far, my other rig is a 94 YJ with a 2.5. I use this Jeep for driving around town and dirt roads that require some substance to the suspension but are not true "wheel'n" trails. The 2.5 gives me plenty of power for that and is fairly economical and sporty to drive.

If I can only have one Jeep to drive, I am going to hold out for the V8. There is just something about the sound of a V8 and being able to have the power there when you want it. However, is this going to be a daily driver? Gas is how much a gallon where you live? You know, just when you think that you have made up your mind....

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode