How much should I pay for roll cage to be installed? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

How much should I pay for roll cage to be installed?

I have a front roll bar and a six point tie in kit for my 78 CJ7. I went to a local jeep shop and they quoted me alomst $900.00! I
think this is very high. How much have you guys paid to have your cages installed. I have all the parts I just need someone to weld
them up. I can even cover the painting if someone can give me a decent price for installation.

Alec
(broke after just about finishing his Jeep!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How much should I pay for roll cage to be installed?

Hi Alec, NO WAY IN HE_ _ would I ever pay 900.00 for someone to weld a cage for me. I would suggest going to a local welding shop that fabricates trailers and such, I have gotten many parts done like this (before I got my welder, but thats for another post!) The quality was great, just take a look at some of thier stuff and get a quote. Since you have all the parts the cost should not be as horrible as that 900.00, for that you could get a pretty nice welder for yourself, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Hope that helps!
rlm93yj

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 05:09 PM

Rather pay that much for someone else to do it, what I'd do if I was in your position is buy or borrow a welder, and do some practicing on some scrap steel and then weld it in yourself? Welding is a skill that's going to be useful for as long as you own a Jeep or other off road type vehicle... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had mine welded up at a drag racing car builder. I can weld but I would rather trust a professional welder that builds cars designed to last a crash at 200mph. Since my Jeep isn't ever going to see 100mph it its current form I think I'll be ok. Also $900 is seems reaally high.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:26 PM

If you want to drive up from Fl. I'll do it for free[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I bet if you can find a jeeper close to you with a welder he would do the same.
$900 will buy you a welder capabile of doing more that that job.
Buy a wire welder & practice,practice,practice!
Please give us the name of the JOKER who priced your job so nobody frequents his buisness. We all have to eat , but he's not a friend of jeepers[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Wider is better but taller is cooler!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a custom jeep fabricator install my front cage kit and it cost about $350. He charged $50/hr and it took him about 7 hrs. He also tied it into the frame and added extra spreader bars and on across the rear hoop behind the seats for me to attach harnesses. I would look around some more, you can find someone to do it for less.

One tip, your life might depend on your cage install, dont have some schmuck do it just because he is cheap. Yes you can buy a welder for that kind of money, but I would have to have A LOT of practice before I trusted my life to my welding.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$900 bucks is pure bull, for that price I would expect a custome built full cage. 7 hours is a lot longer then it would take to weld up a front hoop with four spreaders. My dads neighbor welded in his smittybuilt kit in 2-3 hours with a stick welder and plasma cutter(all these tools where on the back of his F-350 super duty). Your best bet would be someone with welding skills who is into fourwheeling or just go to a welding shop they tend to do less expensive work then most automotive shops

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
"look Ma no doors!"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 08:08 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Now, now, do we have all of the facts here.

Alec,
What did you ask for? Did you fit and drill all of the pieces or just take the kit to him and ask him to put
this on my Jeep? Where the carpets out? Did you take the seats out? Did you clean the frame for the
tie in? Was it a union shop? I know what union scale is for welders, I just did payroll when we laid off at
the end of the last job because the superintendent did not compute. Was he supposed to bolt
everything in and finish it up? How soon did you want it back? Just welding the front rollbar is nothing,
doing all of the fit and then a frame tie in too is a lot of work. I just paid $50 to have six 13/32" holes and
one 1-5/16" holes made in my winch bumper. The guy is a friend of mine too, I went to high school with
him. Shop labor is high.

A racer at the office builds complete rollbars. He did a Jeep for somebody, fully carpeted, full interior in
place and said it was a pain in the [email protected]@. He had to cover everything with fire blankets.

Make sure you have it done by a good shop. Do overs aren't any good if you're not around.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 09:13 PM

Taz is right on the labor(how much prep work was he going to have to do)but still the price was pretty(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) high!
Maybe I take welding for granted(I'm good ...<font color=red>YES VERY D*MN GOOD</font color=red>
but if you can do it(most can...I taught adult ed for this) most can.
I showed a friend a couple of weeks ago(who could jb weld as good as he could weld) basic tips/tricks(& yes he is a handy dude) and in an hr/or 2 he was really doing GREAT , even out of position.
We're not talking about building up titanium impellers on jets , orall position gas/whatever pipe or (a/c parts that have to be visually (inside & out), pressure , x-ray/inspected w/o overpenatration and then some of your samples have to be given "guided bend tests".
Your life Is your life but most anybody with some guidance can learn how to weld and could easily build a <font color=red>safe</font color=red> cage!

Wider is better but taller is cooler!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

OK. Here's exactly what I have and exactly what I asked for: I ordered the front bar with spreaders, a front tie in kit, and a four point
tie in kit for my existing rear roll bar. I got all of this from 4wd hardware and it's all made by kentrol. I wanted the front bar installed and
the tie kits installed also. I am going to take care of the painting. It was an extra $300 to have them paint it. This estimate came
from Wilson's 4x4 and Jeep shop in Holly Hill, FL.

Alec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode