Rubbing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rubbing?

Hi, Ive got a 78 CJ5 and I am going to put 33/12.50/15 in tires on a 4 in superlift softride suspenion, with a 1.5 in shackle lift. This is going to go on the stock axles and so forth. My question is will I experience rubbing with this combo. My rims are 15x10 so I am kinda limited. Help me out, or offer suggestions? Could I fit Q78s!?

Aaron

Everyone drools when they see it........now to get them afraid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:10 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rubbing?

Sounds like 33's with that lift wouldbe ok - may rub a wee bit if you really flex it out and don't use bumpstops, but should be ok for the most part...

Q78's.... may be a little tall for that setup....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SAWZALL!!!!!!!

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot to mention I was planning on puttin an SOA on there. Thats about 4 1/2 in suspension and 1 1/2 in shackle. thatd be 6 in. Could maybe put a 1 in body on too! Would the Q78s fit then?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thats awefullt high for a CJ5 isnt it? Especially if you put tall and narrow tires on it. It would be prone to tip No?

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I second the SAWZALL!!!!! I am running 3" WARN springs, 1" body lift, and 1" shackles........and enough cutting to fit 36" 12.50 SX's.......Yee haw!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 11:35 AM
FlMudCJ

'77 cj-5 with the 4" HD Superlift fit 35 thronbirds for 2 years, and probably would've fit the q78's for a year, maybe two... this was with stock shackles etc. The superlift didn't have enough flex to worry about bumpstops etc... Stock axles will mean your turning radius will be hurt, and you may rub on the frame and inner fenderwells in the rear, and definately rub the springs in turns. 4" and a spring over will be too tall for the narrow axles, I'm contemplating it with mine, but I have full size axles. 33's will look like doughnuts, but they won't rub as bad as the q78's on the springs. I'd get as narrow a tire as you could tho, for turning reasons.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 01:02 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, then they'd fit, but probably would still rub with the SOA setup. The 33's rubbed when I had the 4" Superstiff and 1" shackle, so I added a 2" body lift and cut the fenders back 1.4" as well.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Remember that a 1.5" shackle lift will only lift the jeep 3/4" or less...if the shackle is vertical, the lift will be equal to 1/2 the extra length of the shackle, if the shackle is not vertical, the lift will be even less. I assume that you meant shackles 1.5" longer than stock, which would mean that your lift would be 3/4" less than what you're assuming...may not sound like much, but I wish I had another 3/4" of clearance...

Currently looking for corporate sponsors for jeep improvements...will sell advertising space on jeep, will also sell soul/body...make an offer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I bought the beast off of a mechanic in WV. Im just assuming that they are 1.5 in longer because they stopped making anything bigger a couple of years ago. That is the only lift he had on there, and he was running 33/12.5/15 tires...not much space though?!? Sorry I'm new, what does SAWZALL mean? I figured rubbing would take place with the 36 TSLs, thats why I picked the narrower Q78s. One can only dream. I live in Houston, and let me tell you there are not rocks anywhere near this place, only mud and trails. But the rubbing concerns me, how much body lift would I need to keep the clearance for these tires after the lift had settled down a bit? Or maybe before the lift dropped?! Well thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode