Coil Lift on TJ problems! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Coil Lift on TJ problems!

Well I put the 1.75 coil spacer lift on my 2000 TJ Sahara Auto. It has the 30" tires as well. I had no real problems putting it on and Damn it really looks good! but the problem I have is that there seems to be vibrations caused by the lift between 25 and 40 MPH this concerns me a bit. Any one have any ideas? I didn't think a measly 1.75 lift would cause any vibration problems? How can I get rid of the vibrations? My thought was to use a transfer case drop kit to lesson the driveline angle from 8 degrees back to the 1-3 degree spec for stock Jeeps is this a viable solution to my problem and if so where can I get such a kit and how easy it is to put on. I didn't think such a small lift would put the driveline at 5 degrees off from the max spec? Could there be some other problem? I took it to the dealer and they said when they remove the rear drive shaft the vibration goes away.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

2000 TJ Sahara
www.sjjeeps.com
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Coil Lift on TJ problems!

1" motor mounts will tilt the rear output from the tcase towards the pinion and provide a better angle that should get rid of the vibes. That would be the way I'd do it. Combine that with a 1" body lift and you could fit 32" tires.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm surprised you have vibs w/the auto.I have the 5sp and d44 with a 1.75 lift in rear and had the vibes as i knew i would being the 5sp is longer than the auto and the pinion on a 44 is longer than a 35.I used 1/2" washers to bring my tranfer case down about 1/4 to 3/8" lower,this is all i could get w/stock tc bolts.This cured my vibes.

'98TJ Sahara,stays on the porch,too little to run w/the big dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will have to give the washers a try. I am guessing that it is not that hard to do? I imagine all I have to do is get some jack stands and a few washers and go to work? Did you have any trouble getting the bolts loose? I only have hand tools but I can easily get some air tools if they would be needed?

Thanks,
Dave

2000 TJ Sahara
www.sjjeeps.com
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your post states that you put on the spacers,i imagine that means you have access to a few tools.I'm doing this from memory but i think a 3/4" socket 1/2" drive should be all you need along w/24 1/2' washers.I think i used 3 at each corner and 4or5 on the center bolt because it has a recess in the tc skid.Just loosen both sides then support the side your working on.Ck your gaps w/the washers so they're even and make sure the bolts are long enough to get a full nut inside the frame.

'98TJ Sahara,stays on the porch,too little to run w/the big dogs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, no, no, NO! Its not the Lift that hurt you...its the METHOD of lift! I put a TeraFlex 3" S3t suspension SYSTEM, new control arms and all, with new coils, not spacers. The lift actually put 4 more inches between the axles and frame. The kit came with a 1" T-Case drop kit, so i put it on. Its a 98 Sahara, with the 4.0, automatic, and stock axles, till Currie finishes the new ones...We dont have any vibrations at ANY speed...and that with 4" of lift. MY guess is that coil spacer lift put the axles at a rotated postition that screws up the driveshaft u-joint angles. Thats why the geniuses at TeraFlex build the ADJUSTABLE control arms...so you can make the angles right...with factory control arms that are only one length, as the suspension cycles through its range of movement, the driveshaft ujoint angles change, they do not stay the same, so now that your axles are 2" lower with NO correction of angles, you have a vibration. Thats just my guess, because i DID adjust the control arms when i put the lift on. Oh, and by the way...you did put longer shocks on right?

mikey

If you cant DODGE it, JEEP it!
Big Mud Tires are from the Earth....they were put here for you...and for me...take advantage!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode