Off Roading Forums banner

My Outboard spring hangers

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ozarkjeep 
#1 ·
G
#4 ·
Ozark too bad we don't live closer to each other, a extra pair of hands would be nice. Have you come up with what you are going to do about steering? I just painted my frame, shackles, and spring plates today and got the springs mounted. I used Hammerite, that stuff is awsome. Goes on easy and looks good. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

#5 ·
my axle luckily had the flat topped knuckels, so my plan is to machine some 1 inch bar stock for above the kncukle steering.

I might end up buying the arms from PM or someone else, it just depends on whethere I have more time or $$ at that point!
whats your plan?

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

G
#6 ·
an easier way to make the outboard hangers is to use channel iron. i notched it for the frame and then cut the ouside at an angle so what i end up with looks like yours but it is all one piece. iow less work and the channel i used was very thick. your do look fine though.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/

#7 ·
thats probably a good idea High5, BUT since I was flying blind I used scraps from the shop floor, and toted them to and from my locker at work at lunch to weld them up ( and now they all need sandblasting AGAIN from living in the back of my truck)

there are a few things I would do if I was starting over.
one is start with a chevy front end, and a YJ frame.

but then HEY, what would have done for this much fun?

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.